New iPad or iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appler8, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Appler8 macrumors member

If you were in the same situation (own an iPad 2 and iPhone 4) and could get a new apple product, what would u get, the new iPad or iPhone 4s? Just curious because i am making this decision and want to see what you guys would do.

2. MykullMyerz, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I was also in the same situation recently and went with the new iPad and decided I'd wait until the new iPhone is released later this year before I upgrade from the 4.

3. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Since you have a 4, do you need/want Siri? If not go with the new ipad and wait for the next iphone

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

IMO your not missing too much with the iPad 2. I would wait for the next gen iPhone if I were in your shoes. But if the money is burning your pocket, grab the new iPad and sell the iPad 2. Get the new iPhone 5 when you sell the iPhone 4.

5. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The 4S is already 6 months old with iPad 3 being only one month. Sale your iPad 2 (or give it to someone you care for) and buy the iPad 3. I bet money that LTE will be in the next iPhone. Reason enough to hold out. My wife has the iPhone 4 and has no complaints. It's still a nice phone. Siri is not worth a 2 year contract on a 6 month old phone. You will kick yourself more on the iPhone if Apple delivers the goods this fall.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

do you have to get a new item? I don't see point of gettin an iPhone 4s when you already own an iPhone 4...i'd wait for next iPhone.

Same thing with iPad unless you really want to upgrade?

7. jojoba macrumors 68000

I would upgrade the iPad. That's based on my use pattern. I use my iPad extensively for work, up to several hours a day, in addition to recreation. I use my phone about 15 minutes a day on average.

8. Appler8 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I think I might keep the iPhone 4, and probably give the iPad 2 to my mom. I think I'll go for the 64 wifi+ 3G iPad with a keyboard because I've wanted to use it more exclusively for work.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

Good choice.

If I had to get one or the other this month, then I would have went with the new iPad.

Enjoy your new iPad.

10. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

I guess it really depends on what you will be using more often. I think in your case, the new iPad may be a better upgrade than getting the 4s.

The 4s vs the 4 doesn't feel like much of a difference beside Siri (which I barely use).

And between the iPad 2 and the new iPad, the display alone is enough for a purchase.

As someone has mentioned earlier, the iPhone 4s is already six months old, and the new iPad is only a month old. So in your best inteerest, I think the iPad soul dbe a better buy

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I own an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and honestly wouldn't upgrade either. I'd much rather wait for a new MacBook/iMac lineup.

But since that wasn't your question, I suppose if you feel you HAVE to, iPad 2012 is a better upgrade. iPhone 4 is plenty powerful for a phone.

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Same here. If I were in OP's shoes, no reason to get a 4S. Doubly so because a new iPhone is out later this year. If I had to, I could easily go back to a 4 and be perfectly happy. Couldn't go back to iPad 2.

14. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Two words: RETINA DISPLAY. You'll notice the difference. Unless you feel your iPhone 4 is lacking horsepower on its A4 for whatever reason, go for the new iPad.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I was in that situation. I bought the new iPad. No brainer IMHO. The new iPad brings a printed book quality screen (I can finally enjoy reading on the iPad), LTE (if you do the wireless thing). That's what sold me. The improved camera, video recording, and iPhoto was a bonus. I'm absolutely loving my new iPad.

OTOH the iPhone 4s is a nice upgrade from the 4, but with just one subsidized upgrade per 18 months I decided to hold out since the next iPhone is only a few months away. I want LTE in my next phone for sure plus I'm sure will get a new design at minimum.

16. ElCidRo macrumors regular

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Already own an iPhone 4s and iPad all I need is new 15 inches MBP.

18. BiteMyApple macrumors member

BiteMyApple

I would say neither and save your money until more significant updates. Or buy something nice to your girlfriend/wife/mom. I tend to upgrade every two generations. Apple makes good enough products to last that long without looking/being outdated. This way you actually "sense" the upgrade and are delighted with having spent your money this way.

But that's just me. Sorry if this isn't helpful to you :eek:

19. Mercury6 macrumors member

I'd wait for the iphone 5 but if you have to spend the money then get the new ipad.

20. batotman macrumors 6502

Don't waste your money on the 4S. Yes, it's noticeably faster but the screen is the same, RAM is the same, same design. You'll regret it. I like my 4S but if I had a 4, no way I'd upgrade.

The iPad 3 screen is pretty nice and double the RAM. But, the 2 isn't a slouch either. Bought my wife a refurb 2 and if I had to do it again I'm not sure I'd have bought my 3. Going from the 1, it's a huge difference and definitely faster. The 3 seems just slightly faster than the 2 with the screen being the only noticeable upgrade.

21. Michael383 macrumors 6502a