Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
my current iPad Pro 9.7 is starting to show its age battery wise and I’ve regretted buying the 32gb model since day one. I’m charging it much more often than I used to. According to coconut battery its at 75 percent health and over 500 cycles. It still does almost everything that i need it to do. The only real reason I’m tempted by an upgrade is that I use affinity photo a lot and it doesn’t seem as fast as it used to be. My father got the new 12.9 a few weeks ago and I used it for 15 minutes with affinity photo and it was mind blowing how much faster it is than mine. Apple charges 129 for a new battery and the iPad I’m looking at getting is the 11 inch 256gb model which is $1099. While the ipad is working fine right now other than the battery, I’m wondering if its time to upgrade and would love other peoples opinions.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I don’t think Apple replaces batteries on the things, I think they’d be giving you a newrefurbished) ipad of the same model.

With that said I think you should first replace the battery on your current iPad, regardless. If that doesn’t improve things get the new one. It’ll probably not be replaced until mid 2020... and then you can leave your old ipad around as a backup.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I don’t think Apple replaces batteries on the things, I think they’d be giving you a newrefurbished) ipad of the same model.

With that said I think you should first replace the battery on your current iPad, regardless. If that doesn’t improve things get the new one. It’ll probably not be replaced until mid 2020... and then you can leave your old ipad around as a backup.
They replace just the battery. I had my mothers battery replaced in her 9.7 pro last year and they just open it and replace the battery. The older iPads were replacement devices.

lowtech51

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
My daughter took her iPad (model unknown) to the geniuses for a $100 battery replacement and they simply traded it for a same model refurb. She was delighted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.