New iPad or the Next Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by der-kaiser, Mar 8, 2012.

1. der-kaiser macrumors 6502

Hi guys need your opinions on this. I'm considering getting the new iPad over the upcoming iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it). Currently owns an iPhone 4.

I will mainly be using it for uni (lecture notes etc) and at home on the bed surfing the web/reading. With it, I wouldn't need to bring as much to school and it'll be easier on the eyes when I'm using it for web surfing. The convenience of it will mainly be in school and at home when I'm not sitting at my desk with my 17" stone of a laptop. Downside is I'll probably have to pay more for apps made for the iPad.

Currently using the iPhone for similar purposes minus what I can use the iPad for in school. Upgrading it will probably not net me any major benefits aside from whatever speed and functions the new iPhone will come with.

If I do end up purchasing the iPad, will probably keep using my current iPhone 4 for the next year or two. Will also be downgrading to a cheaper monthly plan once my current contract expires in August this year. So is anyone facing the same selection dilemma as me?

2. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Based on the info you gave, I would go with the iPad imo. I bought the 4S when it came out, and I am using my tax return money to buy the new iPad.

3. maclook macrumors 65816

I say you buy the iPad 3 and then sell your iPhone 4 to pay for some of the new iPhone when the time comes.

4. der-kaiser thread starter macrumors 6502

I am somewhat leaning towards the iPad. Just wanted to hear more feedback from others or if there are some blind spot I'm missing here for the next generation iPhone. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, let's see, the iPad comes out March 16, the new iPhone in October? Just get the iPad...your iPhone 4 is just fine since the 4S wasn't a huge jump from the 4.

6. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

You own an iPhone 4, so I would just wait till the next iPhone comes out to upgrade. The new iPad can do everything the 4S can (with the exception of Siri) and even some things better. Plus, the screen on the new iPad will just blow you and your friends/family away at how gorgeous it looks.

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Go with the new iPad.

You'll be eligible for the subsidized price when the new iPhone comes out since your contract expires in August - get a prepaid phone or something until it comes out.

The iPad in academia is pretty amazing, especially with the new voice dictation feature, you'll be able record lectures and whatnot and still take notes as well (invest in a nice bluetooth keyboard). Aside from that, some of the apps are pretty stunning and that beautiful screen will be great for watching videos when you get bored of what the prof is saying. :p

8. aoaaron macrumors 6502

ipad...

iphone 4 for me will probably suit my MOBILE needs for years to come. i just don't use my phone all that much due to the small screen size anything worth while apart from drobox/texting/web browsing/evernote et al. which aren't held back by my current phones hardware.