New iPad overheating

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hellojaelee94, Aug 20, 2012.

1. hellojaelee94 macrumors newbie

This seems to be an issue with the new ipad for quite a while, and I am sure some posts are dedicated to this problem.
    I have tried all the suggested solution to no avail.

My new iPad (the latest generation) overheats pretty quickly and it is impossible to grab it without my leather case.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Is it actually overheating or just getting warm to the touch? Is the "overheating" causing something to crash or reboot/shutdown the iPad? If overheating, should not be, and you can get a replacement. If just getting warm, definitely warmer than an iPad 2 but shouldn't be an issue.

3. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Is it actually overheating or is it just getting warm?
    Even when it warms up (gaming, full brightness, using the device when charging) it should still be cooler than any notebook computer.

If it is overheating, you will see this, and be unable to use the device:
    [​IMG]

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

Come on... Really?!?

So hot that you can't hold it with out a case?

5. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

mine had an issue with brightness. If ipad was left without turn the screen off, it got hot. I replaced mine. Still same issue but not as bad.
    leaving the screen on for a while does something to it. Might get a magnetic case that will turn screen off as i forget to do it often.
    so far so good.

6. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The backlight generates heat while it’s on. All displays do this.

The iPad will start to get noticeably warm if you have the brightness up high for long periods of time. This is not a fault, nor should it be a problem.

By default the iPad will turn off the display after two minutes of being idle. Perhaps you should lower it from whatever you have it set to if you have a tendency to leave the iPad unattended with the screen on.

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

hellojaelee94,

If your iPad is uncomfortably hot, or is displaying the "Temperature" warning screen when indoors then there is something wrong with your iPad -- take it to Apple and get it replaced.

The new iPad can get slightly warmer than the old iPad 2 when playing some processor intensive games for instance, but it should never get uncomfortable to hold. Even at full brightness, while plugged in and charging, and playing a high-end game it should be much cooler than a laptop.

Beta Particle's post has a screen shot of the Temperature warning. You should only get this if you left your iPad in a hot car, or perhaps out in direct sunlight on a very hot day... It's not normal behavior at all.

Sounds like you have a faulty iPad.

8. pizz macrumors regular

I have the same heat issues. I think the ipad3 is a lemon. wait for ipad4

9. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The only lemon around here is the above statement.

My Blackberry gets warm when I leave the screen on for a while.

My iPad gets warm when I leave the screen on for a while.

My notebook gets hot when I leave the screen on for a while.

My nerves get hot when people come up with asinine excuses to disparage the iPad. There are some people with real issues. Making up garbage is absolutely ridiculous, and these overheating charges were disproved months ago.