new iPad overseas

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dde0485, Apr 1, 2012.

1. dde0485 macrumors newbie

I sent my brother his new iPad 3 and he is in Qatar. Apple claims that at least the 3G will work overseas but what are the details on this? He received the iPad and cannot get his 3G account to set up. I know when I got my iPad 2 as soon as I landed in Baltimore I had it set up before even getting off of the plane. Does the 3 require a wifi network to set up the 3G or what? Thanks for any info!

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

He may need to download carrier details for his 3G network through iTunes.

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If he's using Qtel or CGC, he'll need to get a micro-sim that works with iPad plans. There's also carrier details and also APN information which may not be on the iPad.

4. b.c. macrumors 6502

I just came back from overseas trip to Asia with my new iPad (wifi+4G model)

I did not have my Mac with me on the trip. I was able to buy prepaid 3G microSIM cards once i arrived in 2 different countries and simply pop them in the new iPad and get connected on 3G, I didn't load any new carrier settings via iTunes or manually set any APN. I did notice the APN got set automatically to something different after inserting the SIM. Hotel wifi was expensive so I also did not setup anything using wifi before using the 3G SiM

Maybe it varies depending on the country & carrier but at least in my case it just worked after inserting the local SIM. I did make sure before purchasing the SIMs that they would work with iPad compatible plans.