Resolved New iPad Owner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nygiantspm5, Apr 30, 2013.

1. nygiantspm5 macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I just bought an iPad w/ retina, 64gb. Just wondering what initial things a new ipad owner should do (what must have apps to get, cases to buy, keyboard/no, etc.)

thanks for your help!

2. vainhumility macrumors member

Must have apps:
    Tweetbot (twitter client) totally worth the price.
    iBooks & Kindle for reading
    Netflix (movies & TV)
    Pandora (free Internet radio)
    Pocket for reading offline articles
    Jasmine (best YouTube app out there IMO)
    Notability for taking notes of any kind
    AppsGoneFree (pretty self explanatory)
    Dictionary
    Jetpack Joyride (very addicting game)
    Wikipanion (for Wikipedia)
    Sketchbook Pro (for drawing/painting)
    iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) IMO these aren't essential but they can come in handy depending on your iPad uses
    If you want to use your ipad for mostly typing documents but don't want to play $9.99 for Pages, I highly recommend iA Writer (its only $.99)
    Real Racing 3 is also a great game
    AccuWeather is my go-to weather app
    1Password for storing passwords and other secure information

External keyboard.. No. Not unless you find typing on the iPad completely unbearable and have the storage and space to use the keyboard whenever you would need it.

Cases.. There's only one you should consider IMO. It's the Saddleback Leather iPad case. It's handmade, thick leather and it makes your ipad super functional and makes it look very classy. (saddlebackleather.com)
    If you want minimal bulk, just go with a Smart Cover. I own both of these options BTW.
    People say to get a back cover if you get the Smart Cover but I don't think that's necessary. Not unless your ipad will be on rough, scratchy surfaces during use.

I'd also recommend getting a stylus if you plan on taking handwritten notes (Notability). I own the Maglus stylus by Applydea. It's shaped like a carpenters pencil and is solid metal with a magnet in the center so it attaches to your ipad when not in use. Ideal when only using the Smart Cover.

I think I covered everything. If you have questions, let me know!

3. cagcody macrumors regular

I'd recommend getting a red Smart Case. That's my favorite case I own. If you have a TJ Maxx store in your location, I would check there. They often have iPad cases from $10-$20. They also have keyboard cases for around $40. All of them are name brand as well. I've gotten Speck, Incipio, Logitech, and iHome cases from there for almost nothing.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

If you want a sleeve, get a Rickshaw...GREAT sleeve.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Should do. Nothing other than make sure you have a solid backup scheme in progress. Either icloud backups are on or you will not forget to plug it in and back it up every Wednesday and Sunday or whatever scheme you wish to use. And if you didn't buy Apple Care + I would seriously consider it since the damage replacement on an iPad starts at $249 a pop. And find out whether lost or stolen device replacement is covered by your credit card, renters insurance etc and the costs and procedures should you need to use it.

Apps are dependent on what you want to do and thus one person's list is just an opinion, not really universally needed. I mean I work in film so my 'must have' apps are vastly different than someone that has the ipad just for poking around social media.

Cases, bags and screen protectors are really personal choice.

6. jrtdot macrumors member

Crackle is a good option if you don't want to pay for netflix
    The score sports app is amazing for ipad if you're a sports nut like me
    Tune in radio is also a good free radio option
    I've also come to enjoy Flipboard for going through various news feeds. Including you can look at your Instagram stuff!

Enjoy you're ipad!

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

google drive for simple text documents and syncing stuff with your computer
    netflix if you subscribe to it

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

First thing you can do is FaceBook app and instragram you can take photo of your new toy to Facebook and Instragram. :apple:

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

10. luobue macrumors newbie

i think so,If you want a sleeve, get a Rickshaw...GREAT sleeve. good info,[​IMG]