New iPad Performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Delorean2006, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I had an iPad 2 and it was a beast, i got the new iPad just because of the screen and well the screen is amazing but the device itself just seems slow, it has a couple of hiccups and lags at times and just doesn't seem as snappy as my iPad 2. Does anyone else notice this or should i just re-install 5.1 and start off with a clean slate and not use a backup? please any advise or personal use would help

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I set mine (all six of them) up as new and its as fast as the iPad 2. I've even run some side-by-sides with Real Racing 2 and Infinity Blade 2, the Retina versions on the iPad 3 and the normal ones on the 2. Performance is much faster on the iPad 3.

Same for web browsing experience. I just ran Youtube, this forum and a few other things to test. iPad 3 wins or ties in every scenario.

I think its always best to setup as new. You tend to eliminate some of those phantom migration bugs that way. Try it and see.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I just posted on another thread that I didn't buy one partially because of this. I brought my iPad 2 to the Apple store with me for comparison and I noticed that the new iPad was slower. While I think the screen is better I'm not going to spend my hard earned cash on a device that performs slower than what I have.

I know a lot of fanboys will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why it's okay for the new iPad to be slower (can you say retina?) but Apple should have put an A6 processor in this thing and called it a day.

4. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think they should have put the A6 in with the quad core graphics and processor, I'm in the middle of downloading 5.1 now, I'm gonna try to restore it and set it up as new, maybe that might fix things, who know's, kinda missing the iPad 2 now but i do love the screen but still wish the quad core made it or even clocked the A5 even faster, hell 1.2ghz is an improvement over 1ghz

----------

hmmm interesting, thats what I'm doing now, set it up as a back up but now waiting for 5.1 to download so i can restore and just set it up as brand new

5. doboy macrumors 68000

It could've been 7.:rolleyes:
    Why do you need 6, if you don't mind me asking?

6. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4. It was getting slooooooow, so I backed up with iCloud, reinstalled 5.1 and restored (it doesn't save the junk data). Much faster. I think I had some old junk in my backups from jailbreaks and stuff like that, because my restored data was smaller in size than before the restore. Fresh install should solve your problem.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

They are for my sales team. We use iPads in our sales presentations to clients via some custom software we designed.

8. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just did a clean install, putting all my stuff back on it now, hoping it does perform a lot faster, do love it overall

9. doboy macrumors 68000

cool.

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Slower at what? Mine's just as fast while web browsing and in the games I've played. And typing has no lag anywhere that I've seen.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Everything felt a bit slower from opening apps to scrolling screen to screen. A bit of stutter in settings.app, not much maybe two quick stutters but there non the less.

If I never had an iPad 2 I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much but since I had mine with me I was able to test them side by side. I checked out two different display models and it was the same with both.

Both Pages and Keynote opened quicker on my iPad than on the new one. Also when checking out photos mine scrolled a bit smoother and I have over 3,000 photos.