Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I had an iPad 2 and it was a beast, i got the new iPad just because of the screen and well the screen is amazing but the device itself just seems slow, it has a couple of hiccups and lags at times and just doesn't seem as snappy as my iPad 2. Does anyone else notice this or should i just re-install 5.1 and start off with a clean slate and not use a backup? please any advise or personal use would help

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I set mine (all six of them) up as new and its as fast as the iPad 2. I've even run some side-by-sides with Real Racing 2 and Infinity Blade 2, the Retina versions on the iPad 3 and the normal ones on the 2. Performance is much faster on the iPad 3.

Same for web browsing experience. I just ran Youtube, this forum and a few other things to test. iPad 3 wins or ties in every scenario.

I think its always best to setup as new. You tend to eliminate some of those phantom migration bugs that way. Try it and see.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I had an iPad 2 and it was a beast, i got the new iPad just because of the screen and well the screen is amazing but the device itself just seems slow, it has a couple of hiccups and lags at times and just doesn't seem as snappy as my iPad 2. Does anyone else notice this or should i just re-install 5.1 and start off with a clean slate and not use a backup? please any advise or personal use would help

I just posted on another thread that I didn't buy one partially because of this. I brought my iPad 2 to the Apple store with me for comparison and I noticed that the new iPad was slower. While I think the screen is better I'm not going to spend my hard earned cash on a device that performs slower than what I have.

I know a lot of fanboys will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why it's okay for the new iPad to be slower (can you say retina?) but Apple should have put an A6 processor in this thing and called it a day.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I just posted on another thread that I didn't buy one partially because of this. I brought my iPad 2 to the Apple store with me for comparison and I noticed that the new iPad was slower. While I think the screen is better I'm not going to spend my hard earned cash on a device that performs slower than what I have.

I know a lot of fanboys will come up with all kinds of excuses as to why it's okay for the new iPad to be slower (can you say retina?) but Apple should have put an A6 processor in this thing and called it a day.

i think they should have put the A6 in with the quad core graphics and processor, I'm in the middle of downloading 5.1 now, I'm gonna try to restore it and set it up as new, maybe that might fix things, who know's, kinda missing the iPad 2 now but i do love the screen but still wish the quad core made it or even clocked the A5 even faster, hell 1.2ghz is an improvement over 1ghz

----------

I set mine (all six of them) up as new and its as fast as the iPad 2. I've even run some side-by-sides with Real Racing 2 and Infinity Blade 2, the Retina versions on the iPad 3 and the normal ones on the 2. Performance is much faster on the iPad 3.

Same for web browsing experience. I just ran Youtube, this forum and a few other things to test. iPad 3 wins or ties in every scenario.

I think its always best to setup as new. You tend to eliminate some of those phantom migration bugs that way. Try it and see.

hmmm interesting, thats what I'm doing now, set it up as a back up but now waiting for 5.1 to download so i can restore and just set it up as brand new

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

It could've been 7.:rolleyes:
Why do you need 6, if you don't mind me asking?

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4. It was getting slooooooow, so I backed up with iCloud, reinstalled 5.1 and restored (it doesn't save the junk data). Much faster. I think I had some old junk in my backups from jailbreaks and stuff like that, because my restored data was smaller in size than before the restore. Fresh install should solve your problem.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I had a similar issue with my iPhone 4. It was getting slooooooow, so I backed up with iCloud, reinstalled 5.1 and restored (it doesn't save the junk data). Much faster. I think I had some old junk in my backups from jailbreaks and stuff like that, because my restored data was smaller in size than before the restore. Fresh install should solve your problem.

just did a clean install, putting all my stuff back on it now, hoping it does perform a lot faster, do love it overall

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008

Slower at what? Mine's just as fast while web browsing and in the games I've played. And typing has no lag anywhere that I've seen.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Slower at what? Mine's just as fast while web browsing and in the games I've played. And typing has no lag anywhere that I've seen.

Everything felt a bit slower from opening apps to scrolling screen to screen. A bit of stutter in settings.app, not much maybe two quick stutters but there non the less.

If I never had an iPad 2 I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much but since I had mine with me I was able to test them side by side. I checked out two different display models and it was the same with both.

Both Pages and Keynote opened quicker on my iPad than on the new one. Also when checking out photos mine scrolled a bit smoother and I have over 3,000 photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.