New Ipad Pro 12.9" Accessories Struggle!?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by linkmon99, Jun 21, 2017.

1. linkmon99 macrumors newbie

Hi all, so I'm about to purchase a new IPad Pro 12.9" however one thing I'm struggling with is what accessories to get with it.
    Because it's aiming to be my laptop replacement, I am definitely getting a keyboard, and considering the pen as well.
    My issue is what to get!
    I know there is the smart keyboard, but it lacks any back protection or pencil holding capabilities, so I'm assuming I'd have to get the leather sleeve along with it.
    The other option is the slim combo, which offers all of this in one but I know it is more bulky, less premium, and has performance issues.

So my question to owners is what route do I take:
    1. Apple Smart Keyboard + Leather sleeve (for protection of the back and pencil holding during travel)
    or
    2. Logitech Slim Combo
    or
    3. Is there another route I can go?

My goal is the best portability and the best feeling for the hands.
    Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    btw
    Does anyone know if I can demo the slimcombo at the apple store?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Ugh sorry one last thing, does the Smart Keyboard work in any way with controlling certain games?

2. jplusc macrumors 6502a

FWIW I went the Smart Keyboard route and got a shell for the back. At the moment there are not any shells available for the 2017 model that hold the pencil but they will come in time (I'm waiting for the Poetic quarterback to be updated). It'll make for a fairly slim combo and I like the apple keyboard more that the Logitech and the flexibility it provides.

Shell link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0718WGB8N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. kent.tomlinson1 macrumors newbie

I also use a lightning to sd adapter as well as the hdmi adapter for those times I need to display the screen of the pro on a larger screen. Those adapters as well as the pencil and keyboard allow me to run my trucking business quite effectively.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I use the ASK and applied a clear skin on the back of the iPad to protect from scratches and improve grip. One thing that you'll find is that due to its size, any case is going to add significant weight/bulk to it.

My recommendation for accessories for the 12.9 Pro:
    Apple Smart Keyboard
    Smart Cover
    Apple Pencil
    Clear skin for the back (professional or DIY w/Con-Tact)
    ProCase (either the briefcase style or felt sleeve style )
    RavPower FileHub for access to USB thumbdrives and harddrives

I have all of the above and they provide quality at minimal cost.

5. the future macrumors 65816

The Logitech Create, while designed for the first gen 12.9, fits the new one just fine. I had the Apple Smart Keyboard as well for a short time, but vastly prefered typing on the Create. It's also more lap-friendly while the ASK needs to be put on a table, IMO.

6. linkmon99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, a few questions though.
    #1 Did you prefer the ASK > the logitech?
    #2 For the ProCase, will the 12-12.9 size fit the pro with the keyboard or should I go 13-15?
    #3 Are there new clear cases out for the 2017 pro?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    Doesn't it scratch the screen overtime when folded up?

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

#1. Yes, I prefer the ASK over any/all logitechs for the 12.9. The ASK is the lightest and slimmest keyboard cover and so easy to remove on a whim.
    #2. For the briefcase style, I went 13-15. For the felt sleeve style I went with the 12.9 size which is a snug fit. The felt sleeve has an elastic loop to hold the Pencil... very convenient.
    #3. There are some new clear cases but they are thick.

Oh, I forgot to add... The Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet sleeve. This is a life saver for me. I bought the blue one to match my classic blue Pentel Quicker Clicker mechanical pencil.

IMG_0252.JPG

8. linkmon99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lastly, if I got just one of the procases, which one do you prefer (felt or brief case)?
    Thanks again!

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Happy to help!

If I had to buy only 1, it would be the 13-13.5 brief case. Not only is it easy to carry (the "handle" slides in flush and out of the way) but the side pocket is handy and the extra room in the main compartment is enough to include a paperback book, notepad, papers, etc.

10. the future macrumors 65816

No. What makes you think it would?

11. linkmon99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reviews I saw on amazon say it leaves two lines on the screen.

12. markusbeutel macrumors regular

IMG_0294.JPG Recommend the Brydge Bluetooth keyboard and a skin from Dbrand - doesn’t interfere with the Brydge.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

12.9 user here

Smart Keyboard
    Smart Cover
    Pencil

All work great together.

14. the future macrumors 65816

I have not experienced this, but I use the Create only sporadically.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    I've seen reviews where they lamented that the 12.9 version of the brydge has hinges that are a little weak for the weight of the iPad and at a certain angle the iPad just sinks down. Have you not experienced this?

15. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

What is the point of having both the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard?

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Flexibility... especially with the 12.9 Pro. When using it strictly as a tablet (minimal typing input), the Pro with a smart cover (and only a thin skin on the back) is extremely thin and light. Easy to use as a writing/drawing tablet.

Although the Smart Keyboard is not overly bulky, it doesn't fold back behind the iPad as well as the smart cover. Since the iPad itself doesn't have a kickstand, the smart keyboard needs extra material to be able to form a stand. That can make it a bit tricky to flip around and fold.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Simple

For most usage for typing the keyboard is needed but for watching films/tv shows or youtube it is far easier with a better viewing. Also in bed it’s is far easier to watch things or handle it there than it is to use the keyboard case when in bed.

I use my keyboard cover for when I’m on the sofa and the smart cover when in bed or watching things

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I am sitting out on my deck right now with my first-gen 12.9" iPad Pro. She is supported on a plastic-coated wire book stand and I am typing on an Apple BT Magic Keyboard, pencil at hand in a plastic bathroom "glass" that serves nicely as a pencil cup. What I like about this arrangement is that it is flexible when I want to change my position -- I can move the iPad Pro and the keyboard independently to get each positioned just where I need them when sitting in different ways at the table. I have the silicone Smart Cover but don't attempt to use that as a support for the iPad, I prefer an inexpensive Gibson 3-wire stand (available at Amazon). The Smart Cover goes on to protect the screen when I'm carrying the iPad somewhere around the house. I have nothing on the back, haven't ever needed it for any of the iPads I've had through the years.

When on the go I carry my 9.7" iPad Pro (eventually to be replaced by the 10.5") and again, a Smart Cover serves as protection for the screen when it is in my bag or in a sleeve, and again I use a stand with it at home and also on the road (the 3-wire stands fold up quite nicely, great for travel). Again, I have a BT keyboard to use with the 9.7 iPad but tend not to bother taking it when traveling, I just type on the device itself. I also don't usually take the Apple Pencil with me on a trip, either. I'm no artist and I tend to use the Pencil more as a stylus from time to time so it's not critical to my usage of the iPad one way or another, as fingers still work pretty well, too!

For me, the Smart Cover alone is fine, as it does not add extra weight to either iPad Pro, and I have never had any issues with the back becoming scratched or nicked in any way. When in bed or curled up in a chair or on a sofa reading on either device, the Smart Cover, folded back, works fine to provide a bit of extra grip. If I want to watch a video, the device usually goes on the stand on a table or other surface unless it's just a short video. I don't like holding the device for the time a full-length movie can take. A one-hour TV episode -- sure, that works fine with me casually holding the iPad.

Everyone has his or her own priorities and ways of using an iPad under various conditions and what works well for one person may not be as effective a solution for another user. Happily there are various options out there for accessorizing one's iPad Pro and they don't always have to be something created and sold by Apple or by some other accessory maker.....

19. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I stopped buying case keyboards (Zagg, Logitech) when Apple kept changing dimensions of ipads.

At home I use apple Bluetooth keyboard mostly, also have Logitech solar powered keyboard, a solid metal stand. On the go, Keys To Go Keyboard and a folding plastic stand, both add no weight to my bag. The KTG is great, battery lasts forever, has function keys, is waterproof.

I think the ASK is way overpriced, and don't like no function keys and only one angle.

I never use cases, too bulky, just smart covers, nothing on the back.

20. linkmon99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait you're able to use the Smart Keyboard as a viewer too right, if you fold it back?

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You can yes and works fine just not as staple but yes you can use that just fine for watching things but if you wanted to prop the ipad up and type it isn't as good as the smart cover

22. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
  23. italodance Suspended

italodance

24. profets macrumors 68040

I was about to start looking for some sort of option for carrying the 12.9 and love the look of those ProCase options. Thanks for the tip!

I don't see it in photos online, but the Felt sleeve style has a loop to hold the pencil?

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is correct.