Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mountaineer304

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Morgantown Dub VEE
Hey there everyone it’s been a while hope everyone is doing okay!! SOOO I’ve been eyeballing the new 3rd generation iPad Pro 12.9 since its launched I’m currently still rocking my Pro 12.9 2nd generation but I’m seriously considering the upgrade and was wanting some thoughtful opinions from anyone here in the forum willing to lend me some advice? Thanks Pros, Cons, YAY? Nay? Thanks

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What do you do on your iPad?

Gaming/production?

Or surfing and consumption (articles, video, etc)?

Also planning on folio keyboard and pencil? Already have them for your 2nd gen?

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
Hey there everyone it’s been a while hope everyone is doing okay!! SOOO I’ve been eyeballing the new 3rd generation iPad Pro 12.9 since its launched I’m currently still rocking my Pro 12.9 2nd generation but I’m seriously considering the upgrade and was wanting some thoughtful opinions from anyone here in the forum willing to lend me some advice? Thanks Pros, Cons, YAY? Nay? Thanks

If you have the extra cash, go for it. Best iPad by far in my opinion. I came from a 12.9 256GB LTE 2nd gen to the same model in the 3rd gen. New Apple Pencil is great, much better charging method. Apple Smart Folio is expensive for what it is, but I like how it offers some protection for the back of the device. Waiting for local Apple Store to restock on the Smart Folio Keyboard. Regarding the keyboard, I don’t really like how the new version’s keys touch the display of the iPad. I prefer the design of my previous Apple Smart Keyboard that had the soft material that touched the screen. Regarding the design of the new iPad Pro, it’s a step forward in my opinion. I personally love the new design, and quickly noticed how much better it felt to hold and use.

Any specific questions let me know.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you have the extra cash, go for it. Best iPad by far in my opinion. I came from a 12.9 256GB LTE 2nd gen to the same model in the 3rd gen. New Apple Pencil is great, much better charging method. Apple Smart Folio is expensive for what it is, but I like how it offers some protection for the back of the device. Waiting for local Apple Store to restock on the Smart Folio Keyboard. Regarding the keyboard, I don’t really like how the new version’s keys touch the display of the iPad. I prefer the design of my previous Apple Smart Keyboard that had the soft material that touched the screen. Regarding the design of the new iPad Pro, it’s a step forward in my opinion. I personally love the new design, and quickly noticed how much better it felt to hold and use.

Any specific questions let me know.

How has the display quality been from 2nd to 3rd gen? Same thing ? And speakers ?

Reactions: Mountaineer304

Mountaineer304

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Morgantown Dub VEE
C1A70D2A-F2F0-42D6-A7E5-22E9DC84C388.jpeg

Gaming/production?

Gaming/production?

Yeah I'm sure if I do indeed purchase the generation 3 I'll "Pimp" it out just as I did my 2nd generation.... I've also considered just getting a new MacBook Pro.. Idk I don't game on iOS.. I platform game so mainly surfing consumption and light work load

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I upgraded my Air 2 to the new 11 but kept my second gen 12.9.

I’d say if you travel a fair amount, upgrade the 12.9. The minimization of bulk and new pencil charging method are really nice (though some people are saying the keyboard folio makes the new 12.9 heavier than the old one with ASK?). I didn’t upgrade mine because the 11 is my travel machine, and the 12.9 is staying home.

Reactions: strategicthinke

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
How has the display quality been from 2nd to 3rd gen? Same thing ? And speakers ?

The display in my opinion is better on the 2018 vs the 2017 12.9 - but that's just based on my observations not any scientific testing. It seems to me the display's contrast ratio is improved on the 3rd generation. Regarding speakers, sound quality in my opinion is great, separation seems better than the prior generation.

Regards,

Josh

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
I upgraded from 12.9 gen 1 to gen 2 instead of gen 3. Saved a lot — much lower price, no new pencil or smart keyboard. Very happy — just an ounce or two heavier than the new machine. comparable screen, very fast.

Reactions: AlexJoda

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The 3rd gen is usefully easier to carry around if that is a factor in your use-case. I’ve had all three of the 12.9 devices and each had been a step up on the last.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
If you feel like your current pro is too big, or too slow, or you want a better way to charge the apple pencil, then spend the 1k and upgrade. If your iPad is handling everything you do ok, and you dont mind its size and dont use the pencil, dont bother upgrading.

If youre loaded with cash and you just want the new design however, go ahead and buy it. Youll never satisfy that crave until you use it and determine if it was worth the cash. This is what I did when the first 12.9" came out, ended up not being worth the money for me, so I returned it and waited for a decently priced used one to show up a few months later.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Yes IT IS! Why? because it is still has better camera and processor (doesn't matter if it's slightly better, cuz it's STILL BETTERE) Don't forget it has the NEW LOOK while your old iPad Pro 2017 looks like an old iPad Air or iPad Pro 2015.

Reactions: wheatridge

Madtoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2019
I’d wait for the next upgrade bc most people are having problems with the iPad 10.5 and 12.9. The touchscreen has an intermittent unresponsive problem in. 2018, and 2019.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Only if you can sell your second gen or really want FaceID and a smaller size.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I upgraded my Air 2 to the new 11 but kept my second gen 12.9.

I’d say if you travel a fair amount, upgrade the 12.9. The minimization of bulk and new pencil charging method are really nice (though some people are saying the keyboard folio makes the new 12.9 heavier than the old one with ASK?). I didn’t upgrade mine because the 11 is my travel machine, and the 12.9 is staying home.
Yes, the Smart Keyboard on the 3rd gen is heavier than the 2nd gen, but the 2nd gen Smart Keyboard doesn't protect the back of the iPad, whereas the 3rd gen does. So, for a fair comparison you'd want to add a back case to the 2nd gen, which would increase the weight. With my 10.5" I have an additional TPU case to protect the back and edges. This is unnecessary on the 11", and usually not possible anyway.

Anyhow, I went from an Air 2 to the 10.5" Pro. The 11" looks great, but it was 52% more expensive for the device and the accessories. Wasn't worth it to me since 10X is already fast, and for the time being I don't really need the extra speed. It will give me an excuse to upgrade somewhat earlier though, which might be beneficial since the 10.5" and the 11" (64 & 256 GB) are both limited to 4 GB, so I'll upgrade after Apple makes the entry point 6 GB.

Reactions: grover5

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It really comes down to how comfortable are you parting with the cash to make the upgrade? I bought the new iPad Pro during the extended holiday return period so I had it for well over a month. Once I got over the "shiny newness" of it all, I found that it's really still just an iPad. iOS didn't let me do anything with the extra power of it and I couldn't see a way of using the USB type c to accomplish anything new. The lack of a headphone jack pissed me off and then having to travel with a different charging cable to my iPhone was the final straw. I returned it.

If it hadn't been so expensive I may have kept it but I was investing close to $1500 with pencil, keyboard and cases. Even after accounting for the fact that I could write it off as a business expense I still felt gouged by Apple. It didn't help that I had a hard time selling my old iPad for decent cash either.

The only thing real benefit was the new pencil. The way it pairs and charges is great, as is the double tap.

I'll see if I can pick one up used or in a sale. It's the best iPad ever, but until iOS is modified to open it up to more uses then the upgrade isn't worth it imo.

Reactions: AlexJoda

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I wasn’t going to upgrade.
Then I brought in the 2nd gen and played with the 3rd gen side by side.
I walked out with the 3rd gen.
The form factor and Face ID did it for me

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The new iPad has a much more compact form factor and if you want to use the tablet on the couch or on the road with no keyboard, the smaller footprint does make a difference.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I’d say if you are a casual iPad user, then your not going to notice anything drastic from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen iPad Pro, other then a new design, and the obvious differences, and visual design changes. If you have the cash to upgrade, then why not I guess?

But, I’d say the largest difference is with the 1TB models. You get 6GB of ram, and this really helps with productivity applications mostly. BUT!

If your not using your iPad for any serious work, then that wouldn’t matter much to you anyways.

The A10X vs A12X in light single threaded applications are going to both be very fast. Although, it’s when doing a lot of heavy rendering on the A12X, then it can pull drastically ahead. And if your not doing this, then you probably will not notice much of a difference.

I guess it’s kinda like getting a new truck that can tow twice as much as your old one. But, you never hauled anything heavy in the first place.

I can see someone using a A10X for 2 years rendering through footage and encoding files on a daily basis. And then they upgrade to a A12X. They will probably instantly notice a difference in there workflow. But surfing the web, watching videos, and gaming. It’s not like you always need the best or bleeding edge performance for this. As the A10X will handle just about anything just fine!

Other then wanting the newest, or the best iPad available. Which is usually the only reason most people will upgrade to the iPad Pro 3rd gen.

Other than that, apple products last a long time! And that’s why I bought the iPad I have. I plan on keeping it a while, it has 1TB of storage space, and 6GB of ram. But, I’ve never owned an iPad before this year. And if I had a iPad Pro 2nd gen, I’m sure I’d be happy too!

My honest opinion outside of newness, and just getting something new because it is cool is. Well, the iPad Pro 2nd gen will continue to suit you just fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.