New iPad Pro 9.7" stutter ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLondonFella, Mar 31, 2016.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I expected this device to be buttery smooth, but it's not?

There's a fair amount of animation stutter.

It was set up as a new iPad, and I've only put a couple of apps on it.

I've also turned it off, and back on again to erase the cache.

Do you think it could be indexing? But like I said, there are only 2 additional apps installed so what could be indexing?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks ...

2. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Is this with a particular app?

The only stuttering I experience is with safari when I am scrolling using the ASK.

Performing a google search shows some have had similar issues along the years. A few fixes include just doing a hard re-start or http://wccftech.com/fix-ios-9-lag/

3. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Hello JD.

I mean animation stutter.

Like pinching to go back to Home Screen, or switching between apps ...

4. JD2015 macrumors 6502

9.3.1 was also released today so update to that also.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This happened to me when I first got my AIR 2. Don't know what caused it. I almost returned it but it's gone after a few weeks. Now it's very smooth. Very weird.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

There is some stutter on my iPad Air 2 right now, but I didn't notice until you said something and I started looking for it. It's pretty minor, so it would be helpful to know the intensity of the lag you're experiencing.

7. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I find that the first few days after setting up a new iDevice, that there is some lag. I found it was due to the spotlight indexing and the background synchronization of iCloud, photos, media, etc.

8. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

#1. No stutter here. Buttery smooth many Apps open I let iOS decide what it needs to do I rarely close Apps anymore.
    #2. I was gonna my only complaint is that the A9X is too fast it's ruined me for other devices. Playing Vain Glory it must be running at 60+fps
    #3. I can't switch this fast on my PC from Netflix to Chrome heck Side by Side 2 Forums open one Safari one Chrome. On the A9X and 9.7 is just fine Heck hitting the Home button watching Netflix then hitting Safari again brings up both browsers in side by Side view that's amazing.

9. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

How many folders do you have on your Home Page & subsequent pages?

It seems like too many folders (as was the same with my iPad 4) causes animation stutter ...

10. parajba macrumors 6502

Buttery smooth for me. Likewise my only complain is that the iPad pro 9.7 is so fast and smooth that all my other devices look slow now! Web surfing is like on steroids (same network and router as all other devices).

11. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I have the large ipad pro and I have animation stutter as well so its iOS optimization issues.

12. danbsfc, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

danbsfc macrumors newbie

You aren't the only one with this issue. Lag all over the UI. Opening apps/closing apps/multitasking switcher. Quite disappointed to be honest. My old iPad 4 wasn't quite this bad.

Worst thing is it isn't all the time, very intermittent. I can go 2/3 app opens with it buttery smooth and then it starts stuttering. CC and NC is very smooth. Spotlight also jitters slightly. Hoping it can be fixed with a iOS update. I am however worried it could be a hardware issue...

EDIT: Weird observation. If you have a video playing in PiP, the UI is buttery smooth throughout. Could it be something to do with the variable refresh rate??

13. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

James' post above yours makes me feel better ...

14. danbsfc macrumors newbie

Did you see my edit?

15. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Cheer, Dan.

Just read it.

Stutter has been an issue with iOS for a while.

Both iPad Pros are supposedly so powerful, yet they can't seem to fluidly animate such basic things?

I don't understand how they can run certain games, if they have issues with this?

Strange ...

16. jamesrick80, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Yep, it has been a issue for quite a while and I believe more frequently ever since iOS 9. If you are watching Hulu and then decide to use PIP, it will lag and it even sometimes lags when trying to transition out of the application. Apple is definitely not using the powerful processors and graphics in the pro devices with their true potential. The reason I believe tha the pro devices should use a version of iOS completely unique to itself with the capabilities to run archaic ipad apps etc.,

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Reset the iPad by holding down the power and home buttons, when it's rebooted unlock it, plug it into the mains, leave it alone overnight. A tip someone on here told me, it should do all it's indexing then, when it's being charged, connected to WiFi and not in use.

18. danbsfc macrumors newbie

Can't see how that works but shall give it a go tonight. Thanks.

19. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I wouldn't leave mine on charge overnight, Dan.

I'm going to leave mine on through the night (I usually turn my iPad off) but I'll not leave it "charging" all night.

By the way, my battery has got MUCH better after a couple of complete discharges followed by full charges (calibrations, basically).

You can't cure the stutter.

It's just iOS, mate ...

20. magnificent me macrumors member

magnificent me

I went to the Apple Store to try out the new iPad Pros today as I'm looking to upgrade, and experienced the same stutter when switching between apps. Quite disappointing to see this frankly.

21. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

My ipad pro 12.9 has been stuttering quite a bit with the 9.3.1 update...i'm not sure why...it usually stutters a tadbit less than this. If anyone else is having this issue, let me know. I have had my ipad pro since its release.

22. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

What do you think will happen if you leave it on charge overnight? It's designed for that.

23. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Why? Are you superstitious? You can leave your iPad plugged in overnight, millions of people do this very same thing day in and day out, and tablet certainly can handle running for that long.

24. imac09 macrumors member

Both my iPhone and iPad stay on chargers overnight...

25. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Definitely iOS, then.
    I wouldn't do that.

In the long run, it's not going to be good for the battery ...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    I'm just cautious with my devices.

I have meticulously looked after my iPad 4 battery and it is just as good as when I bought it on day one ...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    It will reduce the life of the battery, in the long run ...