Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
So you use your iPad mostly in portrait mode?
My wife does (she has the 11"). I don't think I've ever seen her use it in landscape for anything.

I use mine mostly in landscape (I have the 12.9"), except when I'm reading books, comics, stuff like that.

mossburgercombo

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
Doesn't really matter how good or revolutionary the design is. The iPad is still running iPadOS. It's like fuelling Concorde with diesel.
apple is never going to allow ipad to function like a mac. it would cannibalize their mac sales like the air.

BroTim52

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
KY
I think we will see something tomorrow or this week, just seen cases and screen protectors on Amazon for iPad Pro 2024 and also iPad Air 12.9

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 44

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
apple is never going to allow ipad to function like a mac. it would cannibalize their mac sales like the air.
Many people post claims like these, but let's take a close look at this idea of "cannibalize" this or that product:

Apple is a full service retailer and maker of consumer electronics. The cost of doing business is far larger than parts costs.

An iPad Pro or even iPad Air is priced where it needs to be in order for Apple to make a profit.

Same is true for the MacBook line.

If, say, the iPad Pro had a macOS build for it, available to the customer, then let's also say one third of MacBook customers decide to get an iPad Pro instead.

All that means is that the iPad Pro will carry a bigger share of the cost of doing business for Apple.

Apple has no reason to think selling more iPad Pros is a bad thing. None at all.

Any loss revenue in the MacBook line is made up by increased revenues in the iPad Pro line.

But, you may declare, what about all those people today who buy multiple devices, who in a future scenario will be buying just one device instead of two?

Well, that share of Apple customers is small, but let's just accept they do exist.

What this means is that the price of an iPad Pro, and/or it accessories, will be increased to make up for the loss of double sales. Likewise MacBook prices may be adjusted up. I really think the loss of two-device-buying is not going to be so large in magnitude that price bumps will have to be very significant.

Fundamentally, a touch pad and a laptop are two different computer-use paradigms. And that is why putting macOS on an iPad, an idea that is championed occasionally on the internet, is not a big thing for Apple.

Other makers have put touch screens on their laptops and it doesn't seem to be big mover in the sales in the industry.

Hybrid designs have been tried... and are not moving the needle.

How many people do you know who go around with their Android tablet lamenting it does not run Windows? I'm sure there are some who do, but evidently they are not very many because we don't see such products flooding the market.

Reactions: ingik

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Unbelievable Apple fans would call this revolutionary. All brainwashed to believe whatever their cult leader tells them to believe.
At least, once in a blue moon, apple release something worth the attention, 95% of the news are all rumors (in a way what this website is all about). The iPad has the potential to be a great device. Everyone knows the problem isn't the hardware necessarily. So unless there's anything new, not sure why MacRumors keep posting the same rumor non-stop.
In my opinion, I hope they release at some point in the future a true ipad pro with a hybrid OS between MacOS and iPadOS, otherwise it isn't really a pro device.

No one in this thread has said these updates are revolutionary

Reactions: raybo

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Unbelievable Apple fans would call this revolutionary. All brainwashed to believe whatever their cult leader tells them to believe.
At least, once in a blue moon, apple release something worth the attention, 95% of the news are all rumors (in a way what this website is all about). The iPad has the potential to be a great device. Everyone knows the problem isn't the hardware necessarily. So unless there's anything new, not sure why MacRumors keep posting the same rumor non-stop.
In my opinion, I hope they release at some point in the future a true ipad pro with a hybrid OS between MacOS and iPadOS, otherwise it isn't really a pro device.
For me, what would make the iPad Pro everything I want it to be isn’t a hybrid OS, but rather a battery that lets me use it unplugged for 15-18 hours. I can deal with any shortcomings with the OS, but when I’m traveling and can’t get through a flight and a few hours pre and post travel work without plugging in just bums me out.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Great. Now Apple should show the image sideways on the phone when people hold it the wrong way while shooting video. They could have prevented millions of door-shaped videos over the last several years.

But... can we blame them for not expecting people to be that dumb?

Meanwhile, the iPad Pro is a pitifully gimped toy because it has no headphone jack. Apple's anti-customer insults keep rolling on...

Last edited:
Reactions: ScooterComputer

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the new iPads. Waiting to hear about the Pencil too.

nyermen

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2018
I'll just be happy if stage manager is an option on a new mini (simply to allow better external display support). Supposedly its possible with the A17 Pro, making a comparison with M1.

But my suspicion is it'll be disabled to push people to the much more expensive Pros. Samsung has had Dex for years with far poorer chips.

ingik

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Reykjavík Iceland
Nice, what about a better OS? Which allows us to use Mac OS/Mac OS Apps and Programs?
If you think you need your iPad to run MacOS apps, then you need a MacBook, not an iPad, I am almost certain that the key to the success of the iPad was the fact that it could not use Mac OS apps, so developers were forced to develop separate apps for the platform, and those apps were designed for touch but not for a mouse and keyboard.

AppZ.Zero

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2021
If you think you need your iPad to run MacOS apps, then you need a MacBook
No thank you.

I am not the only one requesting a real OS from Apple for the iPad Pro. A device flexible enough that it can fit both usecases would be great, but its pretty obvious why Apple wont allow that.

Reactions: BroTim52

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i think ipad has made huge strides in the last couple years. apple really needs to open up their external peripheral ecosystem to 3P though if they want people to be more productive. Mouse support sucks. Monitor support requiring the second screen to be open is not a great experience, etc.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It would, but the impact really depends on the hardware requirements because no one is getting MacOS on the 256GB iPads which means iPad Pros at a minimum. If they do it with hot swappable OSes then it would likely require 16GB RAM so one OS could be suspended without shutdown while the other runs; 512GB would be the minimum drive size to support both OSes, but that only has 8GB RAM which would only be enough for dual boot. This means that the 1TB iPad is probably required which is pretty expensive and a very profitable upgrade; profitable enough to account for lost MacBook Air sales.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.