Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
Hey,
I started studying Electrical Engineering earlier this yea and I’m considering replacing all my physical notebooks with an 11 inch iPad Pro with Pencil.

As you can guess typing apps are not that useful, I only need notebook apps to write calculations, equations, basic drawings etc.. would you recommend buying the new iPad Pro for that? Or should I stick with physical notebooks.

Hah I know it was probably asked many times before but still..
And unfortunately can’t afford the 13 inch model plus the 130 dollars new pencil.. is 11 enough?

Thanks

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The entry level iPad is also compatible with the pencil and totally sufficient for note taking. The Pro is a bit nicer but does the same thing.

Reactions: sracer and secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
The entry level iPad is also compatible with the pencil and totally sufficient for note taking. The Pro is a bit nicer but does the same thing.

I agree with this. I bought 6th gen regular iPad to use it as a digital notebook at work. Now I don't write down so many equations and stuff like that, but I spend almost half of my day in meetings at work. I draw a lot of pictures and schemes related to software architecture. I loved it for this type of work. I even find it easier to change the color of my pencil this way than to change pencils if I had used regular notebooks.

I tend to use a lot of colors for my notes. I guess I love to play with colors. And with the pencil and OneNote I have easily accessible black, red, blue and green.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Oh man the new iPads are great. Heck I’d drop the $1000 for it. It’s really great for writing with the pencil. I like how the 12.9 mimics the size of paper. You might want to see how big your physical notebooks are and if a smaller “virtual notebook” might bother or annoy you. I like writing on my 12.9 using the pencil and prefer the near one to one ratio compared to paper.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Is the iPad compatible in running the required software?
I teach Electrical Engineering, and I would say the iPad Pro is finally at a point where it can do everything I need for my work. My main reason for having the iPad Pro is for reading and note taking, where it’s superior to anything else. But I can now do pretty much everything I need: writing math in latex (Texpad), giving presentations through USB0-C, inputting equations in presentations through Keynote, doing programming (Pythonista), generating plots (Pythonista), editing Word and excel documents etc.

It’s not that I’m saying it can replace a laptop. Many things are easier to do on a laptop due to multitasking and more powerful software. But I’m at the point that when I travel for work I no longer need to bring a laptop.

The main thing missing: being able to import files from a USB stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.