New iPad Pro + iOS 11 Beta?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iToph, Jun 10, 2017.

1. iToph macrumors regular

Hey Folks!

As our new iPads arrive on Tuesday, I wanted to know if anyone decided to directly install the iOS 11 beta on their brand new iPad Pro?

I’m not sure yet, running iOS 11 on my 7+ and it’s quite buggy and the battery life seems horrible. On the other hand, the new features are way too nice to wait until fall.

What do you think?

2. kfury77 macrumors regular

kfury77

Waiting for the public beta would be a good compromise I think. It should be more stable and have major issues fixed by then.

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I’ll restore from my current backup, use it for an hour or so then install the beta.

I’m pretty happy with it on my 7+ so no major reason not to.

4. Scaleo macrumors member

I'll install the beta as soon as I can. Don't want to miss out the dock, drag drop etc.

5. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502a

marmiteturkey

Ive got the beta on my existing iPad Pro and it’s just about stable enough. HAven’t found anything that refuses to work apart from a couple of games - and the new functionality is great. Battery life is affected but not bad. I might wait till the first public beta or at least the second dev beta for my new 10.5 though; want to see how smoothly it runs on a stable OS first.

6. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Im pretty happy with the beta in all my devices. I currently have it installed in my 12 inch iPad Pro, my iPad Air 2, iPhone 7 Plus and all work ok aside from minor glitches and battery dying slightly faster than normal. I will be installing it on my new 10 inch day one too.

7. kenz1980 macrumors newbie

So, whats your take on the IPP now that the new beta has dropped. Im debating just going iPad instead of my Mac. Curious what the 12.9 owners think, thanks!

8. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I have to say I completely love iOS 11 on the iPads, its like a whole different device but it still does not replace a laptop for me. It’s very close though, I think if I didn’t have a MacBook Pro i wouldn’t get one and get an iPad but I find myself still going back to it instead of the iPad for some things.

9. kenz1980 macrumors newbie

Cool, whats an example of what you go back to your laptop for?

10. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

Aside from the big apps like Photoshop or Xcode, I feel like things are done much quicker on my laptop, even safari browsing.

11. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

The beta seems more stable on my current 12.9 iPad than it is on my phone. It's incredibly beta on the phone.

12. ck247 macrumors newbie

ck247

i always wonder how they do their updates. everytime, battery life is a point in early versions! on the other side, i don't think that i can wait until fall for all these features in iOS11 for iPad. most likely, i will wait until public beta first reviews.

13. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

This is what I plan on doing with my new iPad.

14. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

What bugs me, is that people say it's stable on the iPads. I'm not to keen on spending $100 though, when a free beta is only a few weeks away.

But buying a new one with 10? the timing stinks :D

15. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I doubt many of those running the beta are registered developers.

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

hmm, thanks for this :)

(seems like a.. wholesome ripoff...I'm in)

17. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lol, glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of going straight to iOS 11 beta. :p

18. jmac645 macrumors newbie

After pre-ordering my iPad Pro 10.5 on Monday, this was my first thought. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The new iOS 11 is half the reason I'm so excited to get it, so I can't imagine not installing it. I got iOS 10 on my old iPad the daybthe first beta came out. Obviously buggy but was worth it. This one should be even more worth it. I will also be downloading day 1!

19. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

I will wait a few weeks and get the public beta.

20. Tmelon macrumors 65816

I'll be going against my better judgement and installing on day 1 as well. iOS 11 was the whole iPad Pro experience in the keynote and it just feels wrong running iOS 10 on this new device.

21. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3 choices

1, pay for a developer account
    2, wait for the public beta
    3, google ‘get ios11 now’

23. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

See I get that but idk I feel the opposite like I'm so comfortable in ios and I love how on the go my iPhone albeit smaller has the full capability of my iPad in my pocket. When I use a Mac I like it but for my computing needs it's really so much extra that I just don't need, and iOS doesn't have that, so I feel like the workflow for me is more efficient and intuitive on iOS vs MacOS for me personally.

24. ssledoux macrumors 6502a

ssledoux

Well I'd likely wait for the public beta, but when it releases, anyone can get it? Where do you get it and how do you put it on the device? I've never done this before.

25. KrisLord macrumors 65816

When the iOS 11 beta starts there’ll be a profile on the website to install. All that does is tell your phone to check beta updates instead of regular updates.

Then when you next check for updates it’ll find the beta and install as any other updates.

This is the same way developer betas are installed, the profile just comes from developer.apple.com