new iPad pro next month

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rob198612, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Rob198612 macrumors 6502a

Rob198612

so, next month is the new iPad pro with the iPhone x design like.

i have a feeling the price is going to be super $$$$$

probably 256GB-516GB with cellular $1500?? what you guys think or more?

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It’s not going to be $400 increase just for Face ID

Maybe 50-100 increase at most

3. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

4. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I'm thinking...
    $879 for 64GB
    $1,079 for 256GB
    $1,199 for 512GB

Kallum.

5. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

so do you guys think we will see anything other than the upgrade to the 10.5/12.9 iPads in October?

My sons iPad mini 4 fell in the pool last night ... so debating what to do, replace it with another mini, get him a 2018 9.7, or wait to see what comes out in October ... I wouldn’t get him the latest and greatest 10.5 or anything like that but if there was a chance for a new mini or a new 9.7 I would ...

Thoughts?

6. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Don’t know about the mini, it’s possible because it’s been so long. I highly doubt the regular 9.7 will get an update right now. Look for those in March of every year from here on out. Reason being is those iPads are not only geared more toward casual everyday users but also schools.

The educational market is becoming highly competitive and the best time to have releases for these types of devices is shortly before the school year is up. And the reason for that is because school districts order devices for the following school year very early on in the summer break so they can receive and get the devices ready for the start of school the following school year.

7. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I truly hope I’m wrong, but with lack of leaked parts and solid reliable info... I am not sure they’ll do iPads this year.
    Again, I hope I’m dead wrong.

8. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I am in this boat. Not a single credible leak of anything.
    This is an iPad Air 2 cycle where that model lasted 18 months or 2 years.

So sad I Traded in my 9.7” Pro now.
    I am gonna have to buy a cheap tablet now.
    Either March 2019 or Later.

9. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I take it neither of you have seen this yet.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/18/ios-12-1-new-ipads-coming-this-year/

It was posted here already but for the life of me I cannot find that thread.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Mini is basically dead so cheaper 9.7 iPad might be best option

11. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

My prediction is I won't buy an ipad pro with face id

12. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Desperate wanting a new iPad Mini! It been going on 4 years or a long time since Apple updated it with a new SoC. The Mini 3 & 4 used the A8. Apple added more memory to the Mini 4. Only difference.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    Why not? Face ID is way to go! It automatic and now fast like half a second!

13. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I think I’m going to likely go with a 2018 iPad 9.7 for him ... it’s a cheaper option and can still last a few years ...

14. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

I’m right there with you. I love it on my iPhone but won’t work out well on an iPad unless it has an extreme wide angle view. I’m talking 180°. I unlock my iPad with it laying down quite often.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

With due respect that find is worthless.
    All it says is iPad2018fall. Which could reference just a software update enhancing iPads.
    It doesn’t even say iPad Pro.

I highly doubt we will see an iPad Pro in 2018
    And all 10nm CPU production has stopped by TSMC.
    Unless new iPad Pros ship with 7nm A12X CPUs which have 2 More Cores and current A12 CPU have 2 cores disabled.

If and only IF there is an iPad Pro with an A12X CPU and USB-C
    I will be 1st in Line Day 1 to buy it.

It can’t be A11X because that was a 10nm CPU.

There are only a hand full of foundaries world wide Apple can use.

Unless the reason why Global Foundaries kicked out AMD and its 7nm job. As they announced was to focus on 10nm production and a new contract from Apple. (But that’s me reading the tea leaves)

God forbid we get a 10nm A11X made by Global Foundaries. I just won’t buy.

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I will be shocked if there is no new pros this year. Too many leaks to suggest anything else. Before Christmas is a good time to get them out. Been over the time when they were last out too.

17. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

Greenmeenie

For October ipad event, I predict an 11” ipad pro and a 12.9” ipad pro with face ID and slimmer bezels will be announced. DOH! Heh heh heh.

18. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

What about the analysts that are saying there’s going to be new iPad Pros by the end of the year? I’d specify names but I don’t remember them....I didn’t really start to pay attention until the September event was approaching. One of them was dead on exact with the new phone names a day or two before the iPhone announcement actually happened. He’s one that said he’s certain that new iPads are coming.

All I know is that one way or the other I’m going to replace this 9.7 iPad Pro by November at the latest. If everyone is wrong and there aren’t any new ones announced next month then I’m going to get a gen 2 12.9 iPad Pro.

19. cardfan macrumors 65816

If the iPad XR has usb-c which pretty much means a new pencil and other features I’ll probably get on board.

20. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

G
    Good point about the pencil

Not sure how it will work on the current pencil

21. chabig macrumors 601

I think the iPad mini is dead. When tablets were new Apple’s competitors were the ones picking small tablets—a segment Apple didn’t compete in. I think the mini was created to respond. Today, there are no serious tablet competitors running Android, so Apple doesn’t have to have one. The larger iPhones are today’s small iPads.

22. kwilzz_ macrumors newbie

I believe we'll see it this year. The case leak is pretty legit

23. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

iPad Mini, iPhone SE, Mac Mini and MacBook Air updates could make a nice mini themed event...

24. anthony13 macrumors regular

May I ask why I’ve seen some referring to the rumored new pro as ‘iPad XR’? Considering XR has thus far only been used to refer to a cheap alternative to a superior product it’s a confusing nomenclature to me? Is it the likely similarity of both models featuring LCD’s? I’m honestly asking?

25. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I don't really ask for much and will upgrade my 10.5 pro for the following

remove bezels + increase the screen size [bigger screen = better for me, but the 12.9 was too big]
    Face ID
    get rid of the angled polished side bezel - I just don't get it and makes it uncomfortable to hold.
    rounded corners to the screen. Some may not see this as a big deal, but for me those 90 degree corners jar with me and did before the iPhone X came out.

Lucky me is all the rumours point to the above so I will be ordering immediately if it happens.

it will be called iPad Pro still. No reason to change this.

I am looking forward to this launch of the iPad Pro. I use mine everyday for sketching ideas, Evernote, Pinterest and other professional reasons. it is the perfect companion to my computers.