New iPad Pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by largefarrva, Sep 12, 2018.

  1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #1
    I’m trying to decide if I should wait yet another month or so in the hopes of an iPad update to replace my 9.7 inch Pro. I’m only considering the 12.9 inch model due to no longer having a MBP. The main things I do on my iPad are mostly web surfing, watching tv/movies and the random game for the most part. The other main thing I use it for is Zwift for indoor cycling workouts. Personally this iPad seems to me to be sufficiently fast enough for my uses, it’s just not big enough anymore.

    So I’m wondering what the latest rumors and information that is known about what should be in the upcoming pros that is so much better than the current models that are available now. I can get a refurb model for $140 off at the moment and sometimes there are even better sales for new iPads out there. What should really compell me to wait yet another month in hopes that Apple actually releases an update?
     
  2. fathergll macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    #2
    Wait a month and then revisit this topic. Unless your current iPad is financially hindering you then i don't see any reason not to wait.

    The problem is if something comes out this fall that you really wanted you will definitely kick yourself.
     
  3. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #3
    One thing that I’m on the fence about is Face ID. I can tolerate it on my iPhone X but I’m not sure I want it on an iPad. It’s too slow and the fact that I would have to point it at my face to unlock it isn’t exactly a feature I’m looking forward to right now.

    The main reasons I would rather wait is if it’s going to be a lot more noticeably faster and if the screen is supposed to be way better (for watching movies and such) in the upcoming release. I know that the current screen in the 12.9 is better than my 9.7 I have now and I’m pretty happy with the screen in my current iPad as it is...except for the size of it.

    So I keep going back and forth whether to try waiting (which honestly I’m sick of waiting and rather disappointed with today’s announcements) or to just go ahead and get the one that’s available now.
     
  4. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2015
    #4
    Hey If I can wait 2 Months you can wait 2 Months.

    If Nothing is announced End of November.

    I'll buy a Samsung Tab S4
     
  5. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #5
    lol I won’t even consider anything but an iPad.
     
  6. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #6
    Dude, imagine how I feel. I’m still using a 5 yr old iPad mini 2 with a cracked screen & broken home button! Was hoping the new iPad pros were announced today, but I kinda figured they’d get their own event. Probably in October or November. I could buy a current iPad Pro, but i’ve waited this long, what’s a couple more months. Even if Apple doesn’t release them until next year, I will wait. I only hope my iPad mini 2 holds out that long!
     
  7. FelixDerKater Contributor

    FelixDerKater

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2002
    Location:
    Nirgendwo in Amerika
  8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2018
    #8
    Depends on how cheap this new 12.9 would be. Under $650?

    next iPad is likely to have a new design and be 50% faster as usual (plus Face ID and some other unnecessary crap). all yours for $900+

    I’d wait to see what comes and then decide whether to go with a new and expensive iPad or an older one you can get for dirt cheap and will last you for years to come.
     
  9. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #9
    I'm actually viewing face ID as a negative for the iPad. I actually prefer touch ID on my phone even...face ID is too slow and having to hold the device up sometimes isn't exactly convenient. So in my personal preference, the face ID is actually an argument pushing me towards upgrading now instead of waiting.
     
  10. Madmischief macrumors member

    Madmischief

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2013
    Location:
    Oxford, UK
    #10
    @largefarrva agree with you on TouchID, not sure I want it on my iPad.

    I have last year’s iPad Pro and it’s plenty fast for everything I throw at it ...
     
  11. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #11
    I’d almost agree with you IF Apple gave the iPad the non physical home button the iPhones have had for years. But they never did. They gave the iPads, even the pros the same old physical home button. Every iPad I have ever owned has had the home button fail eventually.
     
  12. theadamguy24 macrumors newbie

    theadamguy24

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2018
  13. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #13
    I've had iPads since the very first one released and haven't ever had a problem with the home button. Now, there was one iPhone that I had horrible problems with but that was the one from back in 2012 which was well documented to be known to have faulty home buttons.

    As far as the November comment....I would assume that it means that if there's an October event it would likely be towards the end of October and pre-orders would happen the following Friday or even the Friday after that one with a release date on the Friday after pre-orders open up. So we wouldn't see an actual release date for the new iPads until November. And that is IF there's an announcement in October.
     
  14. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2013
    Location:
    Costa Rica
    #14
    My iPad Mini2 is still going strong but will wait a couple of months to buy either iPad Pro 10.5 or iPad 2018 hopefully at a cheaper price.
     
  15. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #15
    So I can get a brand new 256gb 12.9 iPad Pro (2nd gen) for $150 off right now. So $800 with taxes and AppleCare (no way I’m not doing AppleCare) will bring it to around the regular price before taxes ($950). I don’t know how long the sale will be good for, but I would have to pick it up in person instead of having it delivered. Do I go for it, or roll the dice and see if Apple announces iPads sometime next month with features that I like (like Face ID in both portrait and more importantly, landscape)?
     
  16. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2016
    #16
    Go for it, there is no reason to wait. A bit more power doesn’t matter since an iPad Pro can already handle everything. FaceID is just bad, it’s slower than Touch ID in all the cases. Especially in the iPad, I can understand quickly rotating a small iPhone to scan your face, but try doing it with a 13” display...lol.
     
  17. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #17
    The other thought I came up with is to see what is announced next month, if at all (most likely going to happen I believe) and if I don’t like the new iPads then either hope Apple keeps the current ones in the line-up at a lower price point, or grab one from a retailer because they’ll very likely go on sale at that time. This is very much a gamble though, because Apple might not keep them in the line-up at all and retailers could put them on sale early before the announcement to get rid of existing inventory...

    Decisions, decisions....
     
  18. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    Location:
    London
    #18
    Don't overthink it.

    If Apple release new iPads you will be able to get your hands on the old ones. They won't run out. There are stockpiles of almost any Apple product made the past 3 years.
     

Share This Page