Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation iPad Pro models will feature thinner bezels around the screen compared to previous models, according to a rumor shared today by a previously-accurate leaker known as "Instant Digital" on Chinese social media platform Weibo.

M3-iPad-Feature-3.jpg

The leaker claimed that the next 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will have 7.12mm and 7.08mm bezels, respectively, when excluding the metal edges of the devices. If these measurements are accurate, the bezels would be around 10% to 15% thinner than on previous iPad Pro models released between 2018 and 2022.

Other key new features rumored for the next iPad Pro models include Apple's latest M3 chip, a thinner enclosure, a landscape front camera, rear camera design tweaks, and potentially MagSafe wireless charging. New accessories are also expected, including an updated Magic Keyboard with a partly-aluminum enclosure and an updated Apple Pencil.

"Instant Digital" has a mostly-accurate track record with Apple rumors over the past year. The account was correct about frosted rear glass on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, the yellow color option for the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, and more, but it incorrectly said the iPad Air would receive a hardware update last year.

The new iPad Pro models should be announced in late March or early April, according to Ross Young, CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants. Tuesday, March 26 has been specifically rumored as a potential iPad Pro announcement date.

Apple is also expected to update the 10.9-inch iPad Air, and release an all-new 12.9-inch iPad Air.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Rumored to Feature Thinner Bezels Than Previous Models

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn and japanime

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
That's nice if you use it with the Magic Keyboard but you still need to hold it in your hands. I think the bezel is already thin enough and no matter how good their unwanted touch detection is, I don't want to touch the screen while holding it.

BradLA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
God this next generation of iPads needs to be released yesterday already. No updates since 2022, the rumors have been going on for far too long.

Everyone's waiting with bated breath but then the majority of MacRumors will undoubtedly be disappointed by the final product ("128gb of storage?! It's 2024!!" "No RAM increase?!" "NOT worth the upgrade from my 2022 model!!"). Followed up with "Tim CROOK has ruined Apple, Steve would NEVER allow this!" and then the "Bye Bye, I'm leaving Apple" posts.

Can we PLEASE just get this over with?! I really thought these were coming out the week the new MacBook Airs did.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
It's nice to have thin bezels... but I think it gets to a point where they are thin enough. Otherwise when you're holding it... your hand is covering part f the display etc. This isn't an issue for accidental inputs, as the software easily detects and prevents this... it's the obscuring of the display by your hand. This is more so for the smaller iPads where you're much more likely to be holding them. Not as much an issue for the larger iPad Pro,,, as it's just plain uncomfortable to hold with a hand for any length of time.

On the design... Its already thin enough... Id rather they focussed on reducing weight at the same size whilst making the device more rugged. Surely they can reinforce the internal structure rather than shaving a few mm off its thickness.

Mantahoe

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2014
New York, NY
Yeah, at this point I’m convinced these “rumors” are just promos. Apple is in bed with with most of these blogs and “leakers”. Can’t believe it took me this long to realize.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
With regards to the new Magic Keyboard for iPad... I have the original and whilst I love it, and its held up well (though Ive been extremely careful with it)... I think Id rather have a hard plastic finish... or a magnesium alloy like the surface tablets... rather than an aluminium MacBook finish.

I just never felt that comfortable with the aluminium finish for the palm rests on MacBooks and other devices.. there is just something I don't like about it. Id rather have something in between the aluminium and fluororelastomer. Something more solid but not too cold to the touch.... as remember the keyboard is not going to warm up except from your hands as the iPad will be up top.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
God this next generation of iPads needs to be released yesterday already. No updates since 2022, the rumors have been going on for far too long.

Everyone's waiting with bated breath but then the majority of MacRumors will undoubtedly be disappointed by the final product ("128gb of storage?! It's 2024!!" "No RAM increase?!" "NOT worth the upgrade from my 2022 model!!"). Followed up with "Tim CROOK has ruined Apple, Steve would NEVER allow this!" and then the "Bye Bye, I'm leaving Apple" posts.

Can we PLEASE just get this over with?! I really thought these were coming out the week the new MacBook Airs did.
To be honest I don't think much will change... new iPads will release and their use case will be exactly the same. I think like iPhones... they have plateaued (ever since the Pro in 2018 and Air in 2020 and release of Magic Keyboard for iPad).

I doubt people will upgrade specifically for new design or features... it will be just because an upgrade is due (battery wear etc)... and even then you can have battery replaced.. or because the new Magic Keyboard is better.

I think a lot of people could be sad if the new Magic Keyboard is incompatible with the older iPads... especially if thats the only thing they are really interested in. If the new iPad Magic Keyboard is only compatible with the thinner Pros... well that would be a shame as Im sure Apple could easily make a spacer (magnetically attached, with power passthrough) to allow a new design to accommodate the new iPad and older iPad Pros.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
That's nice if you use it with the Magic Keyboard but you still need to hold it in your hands. I think the bezel is already thin enough and no matter how good their unwanted touch detection is, I don't want to touch the screen while holding it.
This right here.
Up until recently, I had a 2018 12.9" and while a great device, when holding it in one hand and tapping on it with the other, the bezels were, dare I say, uncomfortably small already. It's fine on something like the iPad Air or mini, because they weigh less.
Not that the iPad Pro is heavy, but when holding it by the bezel, it's noticeable.

But hey, like Christmas and Easter, the complaints about bezels are apparently a tradition now 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Biro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.