Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
To be honest, I don’t want to buy an iPad with a CPU that is almost 2 years old.

Will there be a new iPad this year again or do we have to wait 1.5 year for the next refresh?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Rumors say so, but nothing is guaranteed especially with the current situation... Having said that the 2-year old CPU is also a sign that it's unlikely we'll have to wait 1.5 years, at most 1 year. But again, no guarantees... If you have a decent ipad, I would wait. That's what I am going to do with my 10.5 and 12.9 (first gen)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm hoping for November 2020.

A14X + 5G likely
Mini-LED possible but less likely

IMHO

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
If I had to guess based on Apple's history and the current climate, I'd say a year or more before a new iPad Pro. Their current chip in their iPad Pro line is currently more powerful than any Tablet on the market and most laptops. This is more like an 'S' upgrade. In my experience when Apple does this, it's to buy more time while they work on a major upgrade of said product, while at the same time giving it a refresh to encourage more buyers. With the release of 13.4 and mouse support, plus the Magic Keyboard, they've done just that. My guess, March or Sep of 2021. The only other possibility I could see would be a new iPad category all together that gets released later this year in response to Microsoft's Surface Neo. But as far as the iPad Pros go, I believe that what you see is what you get for at least another year.

Reactions: courboy

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If I had to guess based on Apple's history and the current climate, I'd say a year or more before a new iPad Pro. Their current chip in their iPad Pro line is currently more powerful than any Tablet on the market and most laptops. This is more like an 'S' upgrade. In my experience when Apple does this, it's to buy more time while they work on a major upgrade of said product, while at the same time giving it a refresh to encourage more buyers. With the release of 13.4 and mouse support, plus the Magic Keyboard, they've done just that. My guess, March or Sep of 2021. The only other possibility I could see would be a new iPad category all together that gets released later this year in response to Microsoft's Surface Neo. But as far as the iPad Pros go, I believe that what you see is what you get for at least another year.
The big problem here with basing predictions on that history though is this year represents a big technology change, that being 5G. While A12Z is fast, that doesn’t compensate for the fact that the iPad Pro is missing 5G.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
The big problem here with basing predictions on that history though is this year represents a big technology change, that being 5G. While A12Z is fast, that doesn’t compensate for the fact that the iPad Pro is missing 5G.
In my opinion, 5G is not a game changer when it comes to the iPad Pro line. Their Wifi models are always the best selling on most major sites like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Based on this fact and the fact that the wifi models are cheaper, I'd bet they far outsell the cellular. 5G in my opinion is more of a game changer for the iPhone line. I don't see 5G being a technology stressor for Apple when it comes to them having to get out a new iPad Pro with 5G quickly. Of course this is all my opinion and I could be wrong. I could see a new iPad model entirely with 5G, mini led, foldable, etc. that the other iPad models mimic down the line. Like how they did when the iPhone X was first released. It was the new, ground breaking iPhone that was in a category by itself. Now they have a "Pro" model off that same design.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
In my opinion, 5G is not a game changer when it comes to the iPad Pro line. Their Wifi models are always the best selling on most major sites like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Based on this fact and the fact that the wifi models are cheaper, I'd bet they far outsell the cellular. 5G in my opinion is more of a game changer for the iPhone line. I don't see 5G being a technology stressor for Apple when it comes to them having to get out a new iPad Pro with 5G quickly. Of course this is all my opinion and I could be wrong. I could see a new iPad model entirely with 5G, mini led, foldable, etc. that the other iPad models mimic down the line. Like how they did when the iPhone X was first released. It was the new, ground breaking iPhone that was in a category by itself. Now they have a "Pro" model off that same design.
I suspect the cellular model will be updated to 5G, and the LTE model will be discontinued, but the WiFi-only model will not be updated and will continue to be sold as is.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Rumors say so, but nothing is guaranteed especially with the current situation... Having said that the 2-year old CPU is also a sign that it's unlikely we'll have to wait 1.5 years, at most 1 year. But again, no guarantees... If you have a decent ipad, I would wait. That's what I am going to do with my 10.5 and 12.9 (first gen)

I’m doing the same. I’m going to keep my 2017 10.5 IPP and & 1st gen. pencil for another cycle and freshen it up with this Logitech Combo Touch keyboard/trackpad case that comes out in May ($149). Hopefully, we’ll see a major upgrade for the IPP within a year and I can upgrade then.
77C2831E-DA51-413D-AA8A-AF2C5DB87618.jpeg

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'm hoping for November 2020.

A14X + 5G likely
Mini-LED possible but less likely

IMHO

I just don’t believe that the update will only come to one size and only to the cellular model. That never happened before and wouldn’t make much sense to me.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just don’t believe that the update will only come to one size and only to the cellular model. That never happened before and wouldn’t make much sense to me.
Something similar has happened with MacBook Pros before.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Something similar has happened with MacBook Pros before.

Different product line. What specifically are you referring to? There isn’t any cellular hardware in MacBooks to begin with?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Different product line. What specifically are you referring to? There isn’t any cellular hardware in MacBooks to begin with?
Touch Bar model updated and Non-Touch Bar model kept the same, for example.

I didn’t say it would be only one size though. I think both the 11” and 12.9” cellular models would be updated.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I just don’t see them further fragmenting the iPad Pro market into further niches.
No real niches. The A12Z LTE cellular model would be discontinued. There would still only be four main models (excluding storage size differences). 11” A12Z WiFi, 11” 5G cellular, 12.9” A12Z WiFi, 12.9” 5G cellular.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I was screwed the last time Apple made an early update to the iPad so I'm concerned about that same situation again. However, I went ahead and ordered a new 11 inch 2020 Pro since I've already waited so long and it's a big improvement over my 2016 9.7 inch Pro.

I've never updated any Apple device with the very next model because I consider it a waste. However, if Apple drops an 11 inch with a vastly improved screen and I'm in a good financial position at the time I'll just order it and sell my current one on Swappa. All the rumors seem to only mention the possibility of a 12.9 model at the very end of this year though so it might be a longer wait for an updated 11.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
No real niches. The A12Z LTE cellular model would be discontinued. There would still only be four main models (excluding storage size differences). 11” A12Z WiFi, 11” 5G cellular, 12.9” A12Z WiFi, 12.9” 5G cellular.

A premium Tablet in itself is likely a niche already. There no indication that the MBP approach would work on iOS devices to further fragment their market. But we’ll see. Agree to disagree.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Why not ? It makes really sense for them
An ipad Pro plus 12.9 with 5g + a14x for 1200+$ makes senses

I don’t understand where the sense is in breaking the usual rollout of the same specs either as wifi or wifi plus cellular. Cellular is surely way less often bought than wifi, at least in my circles and not having the same performance in the wifi only machines will get people frustrated to say the least. These have always been the same except for the cellular antenna and there is really no valid reason to change this other than artificially making the 5G a flagship - within an existing flagship device category.

In fact - the similar specifications are even on the iPhone lineup now where the smaller flagship- 11 pro - has exactly the same specs except for the screen and battery differences. The bigger ones used to have the better camera but Apple have in fact stopped that approach there as well. I don’t see them introducing it elsewhere for the same reasons.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t understand where the sense is in breaking the usual rollout of the same specs either as wifi or wifi plus cellular. Cellular is surely way less often bought than wifi, at least in my circles and not having the same performance in the wifi only machines will get people frustrated to say the least. These have always been the same except for the cellular antenna and there is really no valid reason to change this other than artificially making the 5G a flagship - within an existing flagship device category.

In fact - the similar specifications are even on the iPhone lineup now where the smaller flagship- 11 pro - has exactly the same specs except for the screen and battery differences. The bigger ones used to have the better camera but Apple have in fact stopped that approach there as well. I don’t see them introducing it elsewhere for the same reasons.
I suspect it is because the A12X/Z SoC and logic board design aren't built for the Qualcomm 5G chipset.

Reactions: ingambe

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
The existing CPU is extremely powerful. You shouldn't worry about the age of it.

The new A13 chip is a huge improvement over the A12. Not is it only 20% faster, it is also much more energy efficient.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max is a game changer partially attributed to the new A13 chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.