New iPad Pro "True Tone" and Night Shift?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thebmall, Mar 30, 2016.

1. thebmall macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So, I was very excited that "Night Shade" was a new feature in IOS. I'm a huge fan of Flux on the mac. Anyways, I keep reading about the new iPad Pro's "True Tone" display and I'm wondering how that works with Night Shift? Do the two cancel each other out? They seem like the same thing...One maybe more hardware oriented and the other software?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My understanding is that True Tone is about white balance adjustment while Night Shift is about blue light reduction. They seem related, but Night Shift is a much more drastic effect rather than subtle changes for visibility in True Tone.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

True tone needs sensors to detect the color of light in room and ,arch it for paper white. That's the only thing missing on say the larger iPad Pro. It doesn't have the sensors so that it could change the temperature based on them.

4. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Do we know where the sensors are located? My thumb and smart case flipped over the back often cover each camera lense during use so I'm hoping the sensors are elsewhere so that my screen isn't constantly fluctuating.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

They're hidden in the bezel around the display.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

This is based on what I have read, and not actual testing, so take this answer with a grain of salt. They don't cancel each other out, and they aren't the same thing. Others have explained the difference, but what I expect is that if you have both on, the logic is a bit like this:

- True Tone is always on if the user has it on. Unless...
    - If Night Shift says the color temperature needs to skew warmer because of the time of day, it overrides the True Tone setting.

So in this case, I expect Night Shift to override True Tone during the times of day I set. And for the rest of the day when it isn't taking over, for True Tone to adjust based on the ambient light.