New iPad Pro vs. Other?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by TheColtr, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TheColtr macrumors 6502

Im thinking about buying the new 11 inch iPad Pro as a on the go laptop replacement. I currently spend most of my time on my current iPad so this isn’t a radical change for me. However I have recently started using my old surface pro 4 and Surface 3. I really enjoy the surface 3. Should I buy a Surface Go instead of the iPad Pro?

Anyone that can sway me one direction or another would be great, I’m really on the fence.

For reference im firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem so this would be a pretty big change for me.

2. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

It depends on what you use your device for.
    If you need keyboard input, and of course mouse input, iPad is a bust. What I mean, Surface can be laptop as well. iPad can't.

But if you enjoy tablet mode more, and don't do any work on your device, iPad is a clear winner. iPad in just tablet space has no competition at all. Best tablet by far, no questions asked. But for example, I never could use iPad for anything but browsing web, youtube, movies, etc. No productivity at all.

Of course, that can change depending on what you do. If you draw most of the time, I guess iPad is great.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

This isn't a question someone can answer for you. No one can know. At least based on what is described in your current post. Which will be better for you.

- Which do you prefer? Windows (and Windows tablet mode) or iOS
    - Will the iPad run all software you need for portable use? If there is some x86 only program you need. It doesn't matter how great the iPad is.
    - Speed: The iPad Pro will be faster than your current iPad. It appears the Surface Go uses a Pentium Gold 4415y. So, it will be much slower than the Surface Pro 4. Benchmarks I found show Core 2 Quad speeds. The iPad Pro should feel much faster.
    - iCloud: How much do you depend on iCloud for syncing? There is some syncing for Windows but it isn't very good.

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I was firmly planted in the Mac ecosystem before purchasing a Surface Pro last August. I purchased it because no how hard I tried to make it work, for me the iPad was a great tablet, but a lousy computer. I decided what I really needed a smaller, more portable computer with some tablet functionality, rather than a great tablet that doesn’t make for a great computer.

I still have a 9.7” iPad Pro, but largely it has become a nightstand device. I use to to mostly to read news, check emails, etc. before dragging my butt out of bed. I also tried the 12” model with the keyboard to see if the larger size would make it more suitable, but ultimately just found it a larger version of the same thing.

But you need to decide for yourself where your priorities are and what your primary needs are. If you are considering the 12” iPad Pro, why not also throw the Surface Pro 6 into the mix? Newly updated and looks awesome in black :)

5. masterpace macrumors regular

Actually SDColorado, I'm pretty much in the same situation as yours. I'm a long time Mac user, firmly hooked to the Mac ecosystem. I had an iPad Pro 12.9 with the keyboard. I tried as much as possible to use it as a sole device, a laptop replacement, to my disappointment. Editing documents in Office, I would have some slim down versions of Office and touching the screen is not that great for editing tables in Word or Excel, for instance. Most of the things are quite straightforward on the iPad, but some of them, little things, are either cumbersome or impossible to achieve.

So, I've ventured in the Surface Pro world as well. I could transfer my iTunes music purchases easily. I've installed iTunes for Windows and downloaded all the music stuff I owned easily. As for movies and shows, well, no luck, before of the DRM stuff. But I can live with that. All in all, I'm impressed with the Surface Pro. It's quite a good tablet with good battery life, but it's also a full blown Windows "laptop" with the Type Cover. Windows 10 is very stable and has come a long way in terms of interface, and user experience…

My two cents...

6. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

It was my first venture back to Windows since NT, so I wasn’t sure what to make of it when I first bought it. I probably drove the Apple Store and the Microsoft Store a little nuts. But I bought a 12.9 iPP with pen and keyboard, tried to make it work the way I wanted and could not. Returned it and bought a Surface Pro. Felt a little overwhelmed with my return to Windows and returned it. Bought another 12.9 iPP thinking there has to be some way I could make due with it and found I missed the Surface Pro a lot. Returned that one and re-purchased a Surface Pro.

It was a little bit of a shock and learning curve at first, I think mostly I was looking for an excuse to stay completely in the Apple eco. But have had zero issues with the Surface Pro or Windows 10. I really like that thing a lot. I would buy another for sure.

7. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

The Verge review on the new iPad didn’t reveal anything that previous iPad owners didn’t already know. No matter how much faster they make the iPad it is still an iPad. If it works for you great, it is is the fastest one yet. If not, it’s just a faster version of what doesn’t.

From the Verge...

The thing about bullet trains is that they’re always on rails

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/5/...eview-2018-screen-usb-c-pencil-price-features

8. SteveJUAE macrumors 68030

SteveJUAE

With an iPad Hat on, no the GO is not a good option but with a mobility/flexibility Hat on, things are different:

Firstly assuming we all have high end smart phones the trouble with mobile OS tablets iPad/Android more than 80% of it's functionality is just a replication of your phones in a bigger format. Sure with the IPP you do gain in the 20% part some high end features but the majority of this is centred around niche digital artistry or pencil dexterity

MacOS users find a need for IPP simply for touch that's missing yet again centred around digital artistry as you will always be able to do more with your Mac with a smartphone combo than a IPP/Phone combo

The IPP is an indulgent foot in mobility unless you have a specific requirement for the pencil/artistry when you already have a smartphone and a laptop. For those with modest needs the IPP can work for some in isolation.

W10 tablets which is an over simplified grouping and 2 in 1 laptops is probably more distinctive are not segregated the same as Apple MacOS vs IOS devices and the overlap with your smartphone is reversed and more like only 20%

From a mobility perspective single device use coupled with a smartphone the smart money is on a SP6 and similar devices with the high end devices having good capabilities and yet still covering most users need of tablet functionality, but not for the few truly gifted artists who may find the IPP gives that 5-10% more they need.

The GO or Lenovo Book or Samsung Note IMO fill 2 user type needs, for those with more modest requirements but still have access to full OS or as a companion to a more powerful but larger laptop/desktop as there can be significant benefits in productivity, cost and functionality of single OS use.

Given the cost now of IPP with KB and Pencil despite it being very cute what extra does it truly bring to an existing Smartphone and laptop owner who has little artistry skills. It's an expensive kindle or couch browser.

The SP6 and similar devices with a smartphones places you firmly in the 2 vs 3 Apple devices camp

The GO and similar devices with a smartphone as a companion device gives you the mobility and comfort feeling when on the move without having to tug your main laptop/desktop with you

Don't get me wrong I think the GO 1st gen and some of the similar devices still have a compromises to be ironed out.

Whilst the IPP is highly developed fast etc etc honed device, but to do what is the question you have to ask yourself given your likely other devices