New ipad pro with face ID

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Mar 11, 2018.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Which is rumoured for the new pros. Do you expect to see face ID on both the 10.5 and 12.9?

was hoping there would be as tempted to use my 10.5 pro and get the new ipad pro with face ID for usage at home.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Not sure if there was a question in this post, but yeah. It’s definitely rumored to be in the new iPads with a full redesign ala iPhone X minus the OLED screen.

Ya know what nobody else ever gives a damn to talk about that i want though? Wireless charging on ipad. I don’t like that i’ll Be able to wirelessly charge my iPhone, AirPods and watch but when it comes to my ipad, i gotta go get a cord and plug that crap in. Let me drop my ipad onto AirPower and charge it instead of 3 devices when i wanna

3. Crow_Servo macrumors member

Crow_Servo

Bring out an iPad mini Pro with an edge-to-edge screen, wireless charging, A11X chip, 4GBs of RAM and rear dual camera. I’d pay some money for that one. Too bad it’ll probably only be larger screen sizes that are harder to hold and less likely to work with a wireless charger. Still interesting, just not quite as much as a mini version IMO.

4. Hawaiian Starman macrumors member

While I understand why Face ID is a good idea for the small form factor of the iPhone, it doesn’t make sense to me on a much larger form-factor, such as the 12.9 iPad Pro. Correct positioning or ID recognition could prove awkward when using such a large device.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

We will see a FaceID iPad this September.

Do not think iPad will have wireless charging in the near future.

From lack of rumors, there will be no Mini.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

I just hope it is on both Pro models. Be dissapointing if it’s on just one iPad

7. hajime macrumors 601

Face ID on a 12.9" IPP would remind me of Magic Mirror in Snow White.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2018 ---
    September? Not June?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Might get some small upgrades in June, but the newest and greatest iPad Pro will come out in September.

9. hajime macrumors 601

How accurate is that info? I plan to buy this week but if the 2018 comes out in June, I will be very unhappy.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Same information everyone else has, rumor. No one know when. All rumors.

What I am hearing is that there is be a upgraded iPad very soon but the real deal, the iPad Pro with FaceID, etc, will come out in September.

11. hajime, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

hajime macrumors 601

I want the Pro. I don’t know if Costco would really let me return within 90 days. If I buy from Apple and new one comes out in June, I will be unhappy unless Apple implement the ugly notch.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2018 ---
    If they implement the notch like the iPhone X, I may not want the 2018 version unless it is at least 15% faster with more RAM and higher resolutions. I don’t care about Face ID. Touch button is fine.

By the way, how bad is the Wi-Fi version in calculating the location without gps?

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Without true GPS, it is not near as accurate. I like my cellular as I need it on at time. Saved me mentally when the last two hurricanes came through Jacksonville.

If you are wanting the latest and greatest iPad Pro, you will need to wait till September.

13. hajime macrumors 601

Without true GPS, what is the accuracy? 10m different? 50m different?

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It depends on close by WiFi networks. If you have a lot around you, it may be pretty accurate. Get out away from everyone where you find no WiFi and it can perform very poorly. It basically uses "know" WiFi sites and their location to locate you on the map.

15. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502a

What I am actually wondering... now that they'll remove the home button... shouldn't the iPad Pro (at least the 12" one) move to default landscape? And rearrange the camera to that position too? I mean we have the external keyboard and a general move towards creation rather than only consumption. Plus the 12" iPad is not REALLY a 100% handheld device...

Wouldn't that make some sense?

16. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah certainly if it’s on the Smart Keyboard a lot of the time

17. fokmik macrumors 68000

report says the 11-inch iPad Pro and an updated 12.9-inch iPad Pro are likely to be released at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in Jun

18. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

How has this worked in the past? If it’s announced at WWDC when is it in our hands ?

I’m in the states on business between June 11 and June 29 and wondering if it’ll be available by then.

19. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Depends on the improvements they have made really. I would imagine they are pushing for more extreme angles and landscape orientation for Face ID 2.

20. hajime macrumors 601

I don't know about the iPad for but I heard from Apple people that for iPhones, some "professionals" on purpose lined up and bought tones of them to resell at higher values. Apple tried to limit the number of purchases per person but you know, those people have their ways to get things done. I hope it does not happen to the iPad PRO 2018.

21. Dave245 macrumors 603

I think they will put Face ID and a new redesign in both iPad Pro versions, the 10.5” will probably go to 11” after they take out the home button and slim down the bezels even further, the 12.9” I’m not sure, they could increase the screen size to maybe 13.3” or keep the screen size the same and slim down the actual iPad Pro.

The new iPad Pro’s are rumoured to be unveiled at WWDC in June and not September.