Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
780
657
I’m just wondering when the new iPad Pro will be coming out? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to wait.
 

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
212
150
phoenix
I am in the same boat. Have a 2nd gen and I use it 12+hrs a day for just about everything. Have decided that if they make a few small improvements, up the ram and come out with mini-led I am gonna finally upgrade. It’s the wait now that’s killing me. My 2nd gen doesn’t have spatial audio and I have the APMs, having experienced on a friends iPad Pro ...I WANT that feature really bad!
 

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
1,513
1,119
San Antonio, Texas
Mmm 200-300 days.

38F28C9D-EDD6-472B-8542-9B9527DDEA77.jpeg
 

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
388
236
Auckland New Zealand
Same boat here... our hosts seem to believe it is in mid product cycle, despite posting numerous stories of potential updates and design leaks etc and folk seem to be very sure there will be an update in March, which will include new screen tech, new camera tech, latest arm processor etc. I think the only thing anyone agrees on is that the design will more or less stay the same...

So will it happen, will it get an A14X chip or something betterer, will it be March? Will it just be a quiet update or will it get a mini LED screen? Is it worth holding out? Will I notice the difference if I wait?

This is the one aspect I hate about buying Apple gear, timing a purchase so you get a new product for a reasonably long period of time is import, no one likes to buy old tech that gets superseded in a matter of weeks... so we play the weighting game instead... pointlessly, just so we buy ‘the new thing, rather than the old thing’...
 

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
14,777
12,985
I'm expecting March to June. If it has A14X, then it needs to be released before A15 iPhones. Thankfully, I'm not in a hurry.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BigMcGuire

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
232
31
Phoenix, Arizona
I’m just wondering when the new iPad Pro will be coming out? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to wait.
I’m in the same boat too. This will be my first iPad purchase and I want to go with the big guy in the 12.9” model.
I have heard the update may only be the 11” model in March with the 12.9” not happening until Fall, in which case, I’d rather not wait that long.
 

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
5,091
5,809
Canada
For those more technically knowledgable, would a mini-LED display require a completely new Apple Pencil to work?
 

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
13,587
7,131
For those more technically knowledgable, would a mini-LED display require a completely new Apple Pencil to work?
No, the display technology is not directly related to the sensor technology to detect the pencil.
 
  • Like
Reactions: satchmo

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
1,513
1,119
San Antonio, Texas
No, the display technology is not directly related to the sensor technology to detect the pencil.

Which brings up another question. Is the sensor tech precise enough to match the LED tech? And if you search mini led you get back an article on micro led which is even more precise.

I guess the width of the sensor detection wouldn't matter, as it determines which pixels are activated. It just wouldn't be taking advantage of the possibilities minuteness. In other words, the display will support a very fine line, but the pencil and sensor board limit the width of the line.

Not related, waiting on tech is a slippery slope. If you need it now, get it now. First Gen stuff is usually a risky endeavor. So get what you want need and in a few year upgrade to a more established LED tech. Unless you want to be first on the block to dive in, then wait. No good answers really.
 

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
720
1,437
Poland
I’m in the same boat too. This will be my first iPad purchase and I want to go with the big guy in the 12.9” model.
I have heard the update may only be the 11” model in March with the 12.9” not happening until Fall, in which case, I’d rather not wait that long.
If anything, it's the other way around. 12.9 might be first.
 

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
762
236
I bought a iPad pro 11 and magic keyboard from Costco last week. They have 90 day return policy. Hopefully the new IPP will be out before then so I can decide whether to return and get the new model. Do you think the magic keyboard can be used on the new IPP?
 

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
257
65
I figure we will know more in a few weeks. Rumored release is March. My current iPad is a 5 year old 9.7 pro, so I'm ready for an upgrade. I am waiting a couple weeks to see if the rumors become more concrete. Even if I don't get the 2021 model, there should be a price drop on the 2020 models IF the 2021 model happens.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.