Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonetherefore

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Taunton UK
I see there are two different clock speeds listed so I assume the 10.5 is the 2.3 and the 12.9 is slightly higher clocked at 2.4? I assume the 12.9 allows a bit more oomph because of the larger space. Looking forward to getting mine to replace my 5 year old MacBook Pro.

Reactions: gobikerider

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Those really are impressive scores ... wow!

mobile processors have grown by leaps and bounds since the original iPad....and that came out around mid 2010!

Incredible gains have been made since then...

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
As I understand it, "iPad7,4" is a specific iPad (not a line). The 10.5 should have its own designation. Not sure what is going on with the clock speed reports.

A.
The scores vary but the official spec they both run 2.4GHz atleast the 3 BIG cores. Keep in mind that'll fluctuate as thermal will vary that.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Reactions: semajm85

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
You're comparing an Apple to an orange..... Even if if outperformed the i5 whats your point? You still can run it in a Macbook Pro because ones x86 and ones ARM..... There is still a reason why the Microsoft Surface failed and that will apply here.

And if someone likes Orange Juice more than Apple Juice then the orange wins. Regardless of your personal view.

You can be fairly confident that his point was that the CPU in the new iPad has performance on par with that of a 7th Gen MacBook Pro with an i5. At least that is what I'm gathering from his post.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
And if someone likes Orange Juice more than Apple Juice then the orange wins. Regardless of your personal view.

You can be fairly confident that his point was that the CPU in the new iPad has performance on par with that of a 7th Gen MacBook Pro with an i5. At least that is what I'm gathering from his post.
The performance surpasses the 2016 models and is less then 3% slower then the new KabyLake models

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The performance surpasses the 2016 models and is less then 3% slower then the new KabyLake models
Oh I'm not doubting it at all. And that's good in my opinion.

I was just be a SA to the poster that thinks their particular use scenario holds true for everyone else.

I can point a few scenarios in my clinic where a faster iPad makes much more sense than a MacBook Pro in the exact same situation. So the iPad would hold a greater value.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Hopefully all this talk of an ARM-powered Mac can be put to bed now as it's clear that rather than transition the Mac to ARM, they are slowing turning the iPad into a MacBook replacement.

Reactions: haruhiko

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
And yet people still wonder why iOS updates are such a lag fest on their older devices. :rolleyes:

I am not sure where you are going here - the GUI on the iPad mini 1 is indistinguishable from the iPad mini 4. For sure there were updates in between that did not perform as well. Am I missing the /sarcasm tag?

A.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am not sure where you are going here - the GUI on the iPad mini 1 is indistinguishable from the iPad mini 4. For sure there were updates in between that did not perform as well. Am I missing the /sarcasm tag?
Nope. Check out the forums. You'll find threads complaining about planned obsolescence and that Apple intentionally slows down older devices with new iOS updates in order to force people to buy new devices. :rolleyes:

As for the iPad mini (A5), I've seen a number of posts complained about keyboard lag on iOS 8 and 9.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
You'll find threads complaining about planned obsolescence and that Apple intentionally slows down older devices with new iOS updates in order to force people to buy new devices.

Sure, there is always some conspiracy theory, and it is usually bull-puckey. I have an original iPad mini, and a mini 4, and when you are just mucking about in the GUI there is almost no difference. It is only when you start something that really requires resources that the mini 1 falls down (start up the News app and it just goes away for a while). Apple has done a good job of keeping older devices responsive and useful.

A.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacGurl111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.