"New iPad" restore from iPad2 backup or setup new

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sparkstsa, Mar 15, 2012.

?

"New iPad" restore from iPad 2 backup or setup new?

1. Restore from an iPad 2 backup

32 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. Start from scratch

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  1. sparkstsa macrumors regular

As I wait for my new iPad to be delivered tomorrow, I was wondering how many of you are going to restore from an iPad 2 backup and how many are going to start from scratch. Are there any cons with restoring from backup?

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Restoring from backup since I want to transfer over the app data (i.e. game saves). I never experienced any drawbacks when I transferred from iPhone 1 to 3GS to 4 and iPad 1 to 2.

3. celinedion1 macrumors member

I don't know what I want to do. I think I might do a backup since I have a ton of music on iTunes that I don't want on my iPad. Tomorrow can not come soon enough. I want to see the new display screen so bad. That was kinda off topic wasn't it. lol

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For what it's worth, I've found that iCloud backups are better than iTunes backups. That is, when restoring from an iTunes backup on my iPad 1 in an attempt to solve the Safari crash issues, no change occurred. When restoring from an iCloud backup, I saw a huge improvement.

Anecdotal, yes, but even so, I'd suggest doing an iCloud restore if you intend to restore, unless you have a big reason not to.

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Where's Restore from iPad 1? You couldn't imagine someone actually still owning a first-gen iPad? Snob! :p

(kidding, of course!) :)

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I always restore from a backup. I will only restore fresh if I experience issues after restoring a backup.

7. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Installed latest iTunes on the comp this morning and then did a backup of my iPad 2. All ready and waiting for tomorrow...it can't come quickly enough!

8. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I always restore from backup when I get a new iPhone, but I think I'll set up as new since there wasn't anything important on my iPad anyway.