New iPad: restoring from iPhone backup (iPhone-only game progress?)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nagromme, Mar 8, 2011.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

When I finally get an iPad (2) I intend to restore it from my iPhone 4's backup, in order to transfer all my game progress (plus Air Sharing files and other useful app data).

Two questions:

1. This won't mess up my iPhone or its backup, I assume? It's a "read-only" process, which will create a brand-new iPad backup while leaving my iPhone backup alone?

2. Will non-Universal (iPhone-only) games--and my progress in them--be transferred to the iPad by this restore? I want to play some in 2x mode, and not have to start over from level 1.

I read somewhere online that when you do a restore from iPhone to iPad, only Universal apps get restored; iPhone-specific apps don't. That sounds wrong to me, but I thought I'd ask! (I know I could then install the missing games manually anyway, but my progress would be reset.)

TIA!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

1. Yes, it's read-only.

2. All apps and apps data will get transferred, not just universal ones.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

4. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Hiya, sorry to bump this. Just a quick question, what sort of things will a restore bring from my ipad from my iphone apart from game saves and app data? I've basically restored my Ipad 2 from my iphone 3G backup, but it seems its carried nothing over! Non of my contacts appear, and typing in email addresses into a new mail doesnt bring up any of my contacts like it does on the iphone, thought that would be one of the things :(

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I believe those are simply stored on your Mac (PC?) address book, not in the backup. They SHOULD sync; just make sure you have checked the box for syncing Contacts in iTunes (in one of the panels that appear only when the iPad is connected). I’d have expected that box to be checked already, and so the contacts should copy over. If not, maybe try one more sync?