New iPad Screen Coating Issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by idrawdoodles, Apr 12, 2012.

1. idrawdoodles macrumors newbie

I couldn't find anything on this so far so I'm starting a thread. I just purchased my first iPad (new iPad 16gb) 4 days ago and noticed there was this square area in the center of my screen that was resistant to fingerprints and grease. I could run my finger down it and feel a difference too. The rest of the screen would get horribly gunked up with fingerprint grease. I have a 4S so I know how the Oleophobic Coatings are supposed to act.

I concluded my iPad had a coating issue and only that little area was Oleophobic Coated. Took it to the apple store and while wiping it down it was very noticeable. They kindly and easily replaced it.

My replacement has the same problem, just in a different area. I now have steaks of uncoated area on the top right of the screen. It's going back to the genius bar for replacement later today.

Heads up, check out your displays because THIS IS NOT NORMAL and apple will replace it under warranty/applecare.

2. VFC, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

So you have OCD ...... Oleophobic Coating Deficiency. Sorry I couldn't resist....

mcdj has raised the issue of a possible uneven color-filtering coating used on the retina panel to neutralize the bluish LEDs. Now you have found two iPads with uneven oleophobic coating that is used to repel greasy fingerprints. We have to add this to the ever growing list of iPad troubles.

Found this on the web. Apple filed for a patent in 2011 for an improved oleophobic coating process. They used the old process on the iPad 2s. Maybe they should go back to the original process.

A patent filing discovered by Apple Patent points to an improvement to Apple’s oleophobic coating process that helps its devices reject skin oils. The new process seems to be a more efficient way of applying the coating to device glass, making the coating more effective.

The iPhone 3GS was the first Apple device to sport the oleophobic coating, which Apple said would prevent the device from getting smeared and smudged by your greasy digits. The method that Apple uses currently to apply the coating is placing a bunch of pellets of coating in a chamber with the glass then superheating the pellets, which vaporize and coat the glass.

This process is inefficient for several reasons, including the potential for contamination and the fact that heating the coating material could limit its effectiveness. So it seems that Apple has come up with another process for applying the coating, described in the patent:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08...ophobic-coating-likely-destined-for-iphone-5/