New iPad screen defect (sigh)

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Aww damn. I just got my 64GB Wi-Fi 3rd gen iPad delivered 2 hours ago and just got done restoring it from backup. I noticed a defect under the screen. At first I thought (hoped) it was a spec of dirt on the panel but unfortunately it is under the glass. It is like a small clump of dust or something right in the center of the panel. Not a major issue, and mostly only noticeable on a white background, but one of those things that will bug the crap out of me until I get it replaced. Unfortunately getting it replaced it probably going to take it a while since they just launched today.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Get it replaced. All the 3rd Gen iPads at the genius bar should all be new--since there hasn't been enough time to turn around refurbished units. You don't necessarily need to get another iPad packaged for retail.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
fullmanfullninj said:
Any pictures?
It isn't easy to get a good shot of it. Basically it is the size of a period in the email app. I don't think it is dead pixels, but a clump of dust or some other debris. Annoying, because it is such a minor thing, yet it is smack dab in the center of the screen and clearly visible on light backgrounds.

Get it replaced. All the 3rd Gen iPads at the genius bar should all be new--since there hasn't been enough time to turn around refurbished units. You don't necessarily need to get another iPad packaged for retail.
That's what I am going to do. I scheduled an appointment at the local Genius Bar this evening. Hopefully they have one to swap out since it is a 25 minute drive to get there.