Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Its annoying as hell. I can't tell which links I've clicked or not clicked on Google searches. They look virtually the same (purple and blue). Last year I went through 3 iPads that had light bleeding. I love Apple, but I've exchanged the last 3 items I've bought from them (iPad 2, 4S (brown spots on the screen), and an AEBS that sounded like an old sprinkler system.

Maybe I need to let the supply chain get through its initial burst before early adopting. It shouldn't be this way though.

Anyways, I figured I'd share this with everyone to see if there's anyone out there having the same problems.

tranceFusion

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine has a blue tint too... Not yellow like everyone else seems to be complaining of.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine has a blue tint too... Not yellow like everyone else seems to be complaining of.

Do you mind to post a pic of your new iPad please.

Trankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Same issue here

Found this forum looking to see if I was alone. My new iPad definitely has a blue tint as well.

Trankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I'll get some pics posted

Ive got an iPad 2. I'll set up a side by side and get some up. What's with the haters here?? I can't tell if it's humor or ugly??

Danpancamo

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Yep, mine is purple tint too. First thing I noticed, then I compared to my iPad 1 and my ipad 3 is really purple.

I was hoping that the tint would go away, but it's going back if no solution found today.

Can't believe there is no color balance tool..

Its annoying as hell. I can't tell which links I've clicked or not clicked on Google searches. They look virtually the same (purple and blue). Last year I went through 3 iPads that had light bleeding. I love Apple, but I've exchanged the last 3 items I've bought from them (iPad 2, 4S (brown spots on the screen), and an AEBS that sounded like an old sprinkler system.

Maybe I need to let the supply chain get through its initial burst before early adopting. It shouldn't be this way though.

Anyways, I figured I'd share this with everyone to see if there's anyone out there having the same problems.

Trankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Photos

It may be hard to tell from the photos, though you can see there is clearly a color discrepancy. The white iPad is an iPad 2, the other is the new iPad.

When I view them side by side, the iPad 2 clearly has a yellow tint, and the new iPad more of a blue / violet tint.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 527
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 670
Last edited:

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yellow tint, blue tint, pink tint.......... the complaints are endless. In truth, these aren't defects of any sort. These are merely calibration discrepancies. Why doesn't everyone just calm down. If you suspect it's a serious problem, call Apple or, alternatively, return it.

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
My new iPad definitely has a blue hue to it. I noticed it on the first day when opening the Facebook app. The Facebook blue was more violet than blue. The splash screen, which opens a full page blue screen, was certainly different from my iPad 2.

I'm not going to freak out or exchange it 5 times but it is an issue that I hope gets patched up.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Yellow tint, blue tint, pink tint.......... the complaints are endless. In truth, these aren't defects of any sort. These are merely calibration discrepancies. Why doesn't everyone just calm down. If you suspect it's a serious problem, call Apple or, alternatively, return it.

Ya this is just getting OLD now!

If it's not one thing its another, if its one color its another, if its not one complaint its another, if its one battery issue its another ...... This crap never ends around here.

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2007
Ya this is just getting OLD now!

If it's not one thing its another, if its one color its another, if its not one complaint its another, if its one battery issue its another ...... This crap never ends around here.

That may be the case but I'm telling you the blues aren't displaying properly on my iPad. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Again, I'm not rushing out to return it 5 times but it's definitely different than the iPad 2 I had a week ago.

Trankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I've decided it's more red than blue.

That may be the case but I'm telling you the blues aren't displaying properly on my iPad. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Again, I'm not rushing out to return it 5 times but it's definitely different than the iPad 2 I had a week ago.

I hear the sentiment. Not a very friendly crowd here. :). I've decided that it's more of a red tint. Blues are looking much more purple than they should. A coworker showed me his today, and his displays exactly like mine.

It's not terrible, but I would rather have better calibration in the future.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
modal boxes

What I have noticed is that the modal boxes appear more purple than the historical blue/grey tint.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
It may be hard to tell from the photos, though you can see there is clearly a color discrepancy. The white iPad is and iPad 2, the other is the new iPad.

When I view them side by site, the iPad 2 clearly has a yellow tint, and the new iPad more of a blue / violet tint.

The black one (not sure which it is, as your post was a bit hard to understand). Has much better grayscale (i.e. more even and less color being introduced).

Trankin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Further Testing

The black one (not sure which it is, as your post was a bit hard to understand). Has much better grayscale (i.e. more even and less color being introduced).

A couple of typos really screw the meaning of everything up.

I think that I'm deciding that the problem may not be the new iPad but rather myself and the iPad 2. I've been comparing the new iPad to several other (uncalibrated) monitors and devices and finding that it is more closely aligned to them than the iPad 2.

I assume that I've been so conditioned by the incorrect color display on the iPad 2 that it was a bit of a shocker to see the difference when I switched.

I'm going to try to track down a good reference execution on a properly calibrated screen so that I can verify that my recent comparisons are not just coincidentally similar.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I found that the New iPad displays colors exactly as my iMac. I believe the colors on the iPad 2 were slightly off and everyone just got use to it. When I look at other blue items besides google search my blues are blue and purples are purple. Everyone needs to just chill. Your seeing the colors as they should be displayed.

MrMos3s

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Ohio
I also have the red/purple tint, but have also noticed everything seems to be a little more washed out/faded looking.

As long as this is as common as it is I may avoid getting a replacement, besides, once the jailbreak for the new iPad arrives I use an app from Cydia called "Color Profiles" which should fix it right up.

Would love to see Apple include some type of color settings to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.