Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTennisNinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Great! The new iPad is coming out with an amazing display. Great features, great product in general. I was wondering if there are any companies that are planning on producing HD screen protectors that will possibly allow for the retina display to be just a bit accessible? Post here if you know of any companies that are planning on releasing new screen protectors specifically for the new ipad that is going to be released. BTW, is it really necessary to get a screen protector? Especially for the new iPad, as it might reduce resolution. I know that Moshi iPad iVisor AG for the new iPad is going to be released on Friday. I heard the company has great reputation concerning screen protectors for the previous generations so I am counting on them to release a great protector while minimizing any grain as much as possible. I really enjoy the new retina display on the new iPad but I want to make it so I can enjoy the display with a screen protector. So, which screen protector are you looking to get?:)

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Power Support crystal film on my 4S. Power Support crystal film on my new iPad. Pretty simple.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
I bought a Zagg InvisbileShield. My iPad is going to stay in the box, until I get the Zagg.

Condoms feel nicer than Zagg shields...LOL. I strongly dislike Zagg because it is such a different texture from the nice touchscreen feel Apple wanted. It's way too rubbery, for me at least.

I don't have any personal experience with any other screen protectors other than InvisibleShield. So to answer your question (kind of), all I can recommend is stay away if you like the smooth touchscreen of Apple products. If you don't mind kind of a rubbery feel (maybe not completely rubbery, but it's noticeably different/less smooth), then go for the InvibleShield...it's definitely strong.

MrTennisNinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Condoms feel nicer than Zagg shields...LOL. I strongly dislike Zagg because it is such a different texture from the nice touchscreen feel Apple wanted. It's way too rubbery, for me at least.

I don't have any personal experience with any other screen protectors other than InvisibleShield. So to answer your question (kind of), all I can recommend is stay away if you like the smooth touchscreen of Apple products. If you don't mind kind of a rubbery feel (maybe not completely rubbery, but it's noticeably different/less smooth), then go for the InvibleShield...it's definitely strong.

invisibleshield is made by Zagg, I believe. I've heard positive and negative comments on their products. You like the invisibleshield that Zagg makes even thought you hate zagg?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I used the invisible shield on my original iPad (yes, it's made by Zagg).

I hated the feel and I took it off eventually. It also attracted dust which got stuck around edges and by the home button.

I used no protection on my iPad 2 (had it since launch) and I got only a couple minor scratches on the bezel (from cleaning it with a cloth that had something stuck on it) but no scratches on the visibile portion of the display.

The scratches are only visible when held up to the light on some angles, so it's literally not noticeable unless someone looks for it and has it pointed out to them.

Had it not been for my mistake, it'd be flawless and I use it heavily daily. I've also traveled with it so it's been put through its paces.

My verdict: screen protectors aren't worth it. The gorilla glass is tough and the iPad feels wayyyyy nicer without them.

MrTennisNinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
What about Moshi iPad iVisor AG? Any thoughts pertaining to this product?

For all posters

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
invisibleshield is made by Zagg, I believe. I've heard positive and negative comments on their products. You like the invisibleshield that Zagg makes even thought you hate zagg?

Lol, sorry, I wasn't clear. I used the terms "Zagg" and "InvisibleShield" interchangeably.

My point was that if you don't mind the rubbery feeling (or whatever texture you want to call it), go with the InvisibleShield. I've tested these out quite a bit when I used to work at Best Buy mobile and they are pretty damn scratch resistant. The price, though, is that it does not feel anything at all like the nice, smooth touchscreen Apple intended.

It is definitely protective, but I hate the texture, and I heard there are better alternatives out there that aren't as rubbery feeling.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
I bought a Zagg InvisbileShield. My iPad is going to stay in the box, until I get the Zagg.

I highly doubt that you won't take it off the box once you receive it. I will bet my new iPad on this one.

Speaking of screen protectors, I already ordered BSE Full Body Armor (at bestskinsever.com) to protect the screen and the back from scratches. I recommend Power Support and Steinheil as well but BSE is cheaper at $19 for the full body armor

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
What about Moshi iPad iVisor AG? Any thoughts pertaining to this product?

For all posters

+1 I was interested in getting this myself. I preordered the white new iPad, but I was considering buying a black and white visor, white for daily protection, and since you can take them off (to clean them) I could put the black on for a change of feel. Or if this is too much hassle maybe just one :p

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
Planned ahead. My Power Support Crystal Film for my new (if it ever changes to "shipped" on the Apple web site) iPad arrived yesterday and the new leather portfolio case arrives today.

Have has Power Support on all my mobile IOS devices and works great.

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I'm not sure if I want a screen protector because I don't want it to effect the beautiful retina display experience. But the Power Support Crystal screen protector everyone is talking about... Is it that good? Can someone give a review - like how is it like, will it be super clear that I won't even know it's on, will it ruin the display :eek:

Blonde moment: So I look up the review and....... I'm watching the video and I'm like, wow this seems really good, I want one. I look at the guy pull it out of the box and I say, "wait.. That box looks very familiar." I just realize I have the exact same one for my iPod Touch. Oops!

Well, I have the anti-glare one. I love the matte finishing on it, but can someone review the crystal one?

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hm, just watched a couple more videos. I think I may end up going for the crystal one. With the crystal one, you can't tell it's on it and I think you could see the retina display and resolution to it's fullest. But with the matte one you can tell it's on the iPad.

ValentinoV

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
Hm, just watched a couple more videos. I think I may end up going for the crystal one. With the crystal one, you can't tell it's on it and I think you could see the retina display and resolution to it's fullest. But with the matte one you can tell it's on the iPad.

there is that glare tradeoff though, even with the sharpest display if you see your reflection it may not be worth it, unlike with a matte/antiglare....

i'm still not sure what i am going to go with yet...

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Glas.t by SGP is the way to go. It is an actual thin glass screen protector that is clear and has no air bubbles.

I have one on my Samsung Galaxy Note and it looks amazing. For the first time it looks like there is nothing on the display at all... its just glass and being glass it feels like the normal display as well. The difference is that if this gets scratched the actual screen will remain in perfect condition.

http://www.spigen.com/blog/the-very-best-in-screen-protection-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series-coming-soon

My Note looks fantastic... In the meantime while we are waiting for that for the iPad I have ordered the standard SGP protectors as they are as good as PowerSupport and also come with an invisible shield like back skin. I just ordered the iPad 2 sets as the front is the same size and the skins stretch over the back anyway so a mm here or there isn't an issue.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I work at a cor store with AT&T. And this is the best screen protector there is(Moshi), I also use on my ipad2. But for the new iPad, I'm not putting on anything for a while so I can show off that retina :D But those are definitely worth it.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Has there been any indication that iPad 2 screen protectors won't fit the new iPad? The camera and home button should be in the same place, right? I guess the ambient light sensor would be the other sensor that needs to be uncovered?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Has there been any indication that iPad 2 screen protectors won't fit the new iPad?

None that I've seen. SGP says in their Amazon listing if their iPad2 version doesn't fit they'll replace it with one which does, so they seem to think they'll fit.

Which clear screen protectors keep the ambient light sensor uncovered? Wouldn't that work just fine with a clear protector?

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
None that I've seen. SGP says in their Amazon listing if their iPad2 version doesn't fit they'll replace it with one which does, so they seem to think they'll fit.

Which clear screen protectors keep the ambient light sensor uncovered? Wouldn't that work just fine with a clear protector?

I was thinking of the moshi one, which has a colored bezel.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Planned ahead. My Power Support Crystal Film for my new (if it ever changes to "shipped" on the Apple web site) iPad arrived yesterday and the new leather portfolio case arrives today.

Have has Power Support on all my mobile IOS devices and works great.

power support have a seperate bit for their ipad 3, which i can't access. Surely their Ipad 2 protectors will be sufficient or is there a change of some sort?

I was ordering an SGP Ultra Crystal, but 30USD shipping? No thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.