New iPad - Sepia iBooks/Kindle different hue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netnothing, Apr 29, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can anyone tell me.....does their new iPad show the Sepia theme in iBooks or Kindle as having a greenish hue to it?

-Kevin

2. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Yes it does and even some pink but I do have a half screen tint

3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Yellow tones are certainly more "green" than previous iPads, but that is only because they were heavily skewed towards orange rather than yellow.

The new iPad screen renders yellows accurately, but it takes a bit of time to adjust. I still thought certain things looked green-tinged for a week or so after having it, but don't see that at all now. (and the old iPad 2 screen looks awful when I go back to it)

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'm finding the actual Sepia color on mine to be more green/greyish when looking straight on.

When I tilt the iPad towards me at an angle, it starts to color shift more Sepia.

The iPad 2 is much more Sepia than the new iPad.

-Kevin

----------

This almost describes my experience with the new iPad exactly. A green-tinged screen. I notice it most with the Sepia in iBooks.....but also on the white background of webpages and mail.

So....is the green-tinge more color correct or not? I know the new iPad overall tested more color accurate...but I'm wondering if my screen is inaccurate?

Also....I took a screenshot of a Sepia book page and opened it on my 27" Cinema Display.....WOW.....it's actually Sepia on my display. Striking considering the screenshot is what the actual colors of the page are....not what the iPad is displaying.

-Kevin

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Your post is kinda vague. If you are seeing a greenish cast, it would not likely be limited to 2 apps. You may not notice it elsewhere, but chances are it's a documented issue with the screen, not those apps.

Furthermore, one man's yellowish is another man's greenish. These colors are next door neighbors in the spectrum. You say they appear greenish...to what?

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

The greenish cast is most definitely everywhere. It's most noticeable to me on both white backgrounds and the Sepia in books (which is how I like to read).

mcdj.....I like you have been struggling with getting a decent screen. My latest, seems the most uniform....but the most greenish overall.

I might be done. I might just give up and go back to my iPad 2. Sad really, because I love the clarity....so don't love the green cast. :D

-Kevin

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

It's kinda sad that people have to experience this, with all the returns and the different hues on screens. It's as if they don't use the same ingredients to bake an iPad.

If you do have at least an even toned screen you may give the cydia store a try (when jailbreak is out) and tone it that way with a color calib. app. I know we shouldn't have to and I know how you feel.

8. andrewfee macrumors 6502

iPad 2 / iPad 3
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Source

If you compare the CIE gamut charts, you can see that the iPad 2 "yellow", which will have a definite impact on the sepia toned background, is actually in the orange region of the chart.

The iPad 3 yellow is very close to where it should be, but still slightly skewed towards red. If you've been using an iPad 1/2 for the last year or two, while that yellow is far more accurate, it's going to look "green" for the first week or two until you adjust to it, because you're used to how the old iPad screen looked.

There was a similar topic a while back, where someone asked if blue on the new iPad looked "purple" to anyone else: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343504

As you can see from the CIE chart, blue is far more accurate than it used to be—but that does mean there's a bit more "purple" in it, whereas there was too much cyan before.

White balance is something that appears to vary between individual iPads (the colour gamut should remain fairly consistent, differences there will largely be between the tools used to measure it) but the new iPad should be as good or better than the old one, depending on whether you got a "good" one or not. Mine measures close to the ideal 6500K, whereas some people have reported around 7000K, which is closer to the iPad 2s. (higher numbers have more of a blue tint) In that comparison, you can see that both iPads are actually a little green deficient on the RGB Level tracking chart (ideally all three at 100) but the new iPad doesn't have the blue push of the old one.

What I have definitely observed though, is that the new iPad screens have a tendency to shift towards green when viewed at an angle, whereas my old iPad 2 tended to shift towards blue, which is far less objectionable to most people.

After a few weeks I stopped noticing this as well—to the point where I'd be tempted to say it has actually lessened over time, but I wouldn't want to make that claim without measurements.

Note: the DeltaE graphs show colour error, with lower numbers being more accurate. A DeltaE of three or less is considered to be very accurate. It's a very impressive display considering the cost of the device. It probably bests most LED backlit LCD TVs. I know that my Sony LCD which cost considerably more, doesn't have colour as accurate as that.

9. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Awesome post....thanks!

I guess my biggest problem is the color shift when tilting.

When looking straight on in iBooks with a Sepia tone....I get the greenish tint. If I even tilt it just a little either towards me or away from me....the color shifts drastically to where the green cast is reduced....I'm guessing more towards red? Making the Sepia look correct.

The issue is that the shift is so minor to have this happen. It's not like I'm "looking" for this....if I'm reading and shift in my seat even a little....I see the shift. Very distracting.

Guessing the color shift is going to occur on all of these new screens?

-Kevin

10. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Unless they have other manufacturers producing similarly specced, but differently performing displays, I would expect that all screens are going to have this colour shift at an angle.

What I noticed with my iPad is that it's actually better when I hold it upside-down rather than in the normal portrait orientation, at least for the angle I seem to hold it at.

I do just hold it normally now though, because I've just got used to it over time and my brain has basically tuned it out. (had mine since launch day)

11. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok so with yours now that you are used to it.....when you tilt it slightly....do you notice the color shift anymore?

I guess where I'm having the issue is....I see the green more when viewed straight on. When I shift it slightly....like in iBooks sepia.....I see the color shift more towards sepia (the green cast lessens).

-Kevin

12. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I can see it if I'm looking for it, but don't notice it at all if I just pick up the iPad to do some reading.

13. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the responses. I'm done. Returned my new iPad and I'm back to the iPad 2 for now.

The color shifting was WAY too narrow for me. Kept distracting me when reading, which is what I spend most of my time doing.

Maybe....if these really are all Samsung panels......in a few months if someone else starts producing them, they'll be better....who knows.

-Kevin

14. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

And the saga continues

15. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

It's a relief actually. I'm done unless there are multiple confirmed reports of different screens. Frankly, I doubt it'll ever happen.

-Kevin

16. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad Apple went with Samsung this time around, I have yet to find a panel of theirs that I have been happy with when it comes to TVs, Monitors etc. They are often good on specs, but then you have issues like this. The Sony LCD TV I mentioned is from when they switched to Sharp panels for a year—I liked Sony's UI and image processing (because they let you turn it all off) but was never happy with the screen on any of the models that used Samsung SPVA panels.

The way I see it though, you either want an iPad 3 or you don't. After around six weeks of ownership, I don't notice the viewing angle shift any more, which is the only real issue I have with it.

I do notice how low resolution the iPad 2 looks whenever I see one now though—it's like there's a grid over the screen. And because it was an LG panel, the uniformity on my old iPad 2 wasn't very good either. (but I had a hard enough time not having dead pixels or marks on the glass that I didn't want another exchange)

At the end of the day, it's a $500 device, which is pretty cheap when you consider that an 11" MacBook Air starts at twice that, doesn't even have an IPS panel, and is far lower resolution.

17. The Special One macrumors member

Nailed It.

At the end of the day, you are right. You either want one or you don't. I'm not pleased with this product and it isn't what I expect from Apple, but it still is the best tablet out there even with the flaws. Just wish they could have gotten this screen right. Maybe, next generation.