New iPad setup for Windows user

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dotnet, Jan 12, 2017.

1. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

So, my mother in law got an iPad mini 4 for her birthday. Setup was quick and easy, and she's happy, except for one thing. She needs to get her data (address book, photos, etc.) across to the iPad. The problem is, it's on her Windows PC.

I dug up the Apple support article about setting up iCloud for Windows and sent it to her. Is this the best way of transferring stuff from Windows to the iPad, and possibly keeping it in sync later on? Should she rather use iTunes and a cable?

2. akadafni macrumors regular

She can try the sync method. Icloud for Windows is kind of iffy.

3. craig1024 macrumors regular

iTunes syncs address books and photos

4. dotnet thread starter macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Ok, thanks. So the choice is between installing iCloud and iTunes on the Window box.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Upload her contacts to Google and set up her Google account on the iPad to sync her contacts across devices.

6. dotnet thread starter macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Haha, good one

7. ericwn macrumors 65816

I think iOS devices can also import vCards from Outlook etc. So if you find no other way to export contacts, export them all in a single vCard and email that to the iPad. It's no sync of course, but should at least get these contacts installed fast.

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

Are the contacts, calendar, etc. in Outlook or are they in other applications?

If she has a Microsoft account (such as Outlook.com), the iPad can sync/access from the cloud.
    If she's using Outlook with another service (such as a local ISP), then a cable sync with iTunes is probably best to stay "in sync".