New iPad Storage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BiggAW, Mar 21, 2012.

?

What size iPad should I get?

1. 16GB

10.9%
  2. 32GB

54.3%
  3. 64GB

34.8%
  1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I am going to get The New iPad in white with Verizon 4G LTE (really getting that for the global roaming...). I am trying to figure out what size to get, however. I have the 64GB iPhone, but most of that is music, audiobooks, and podcsts, which won't be on the iPad.

Initially, the 16GB sounded like the best one, as I am going to use it mostly for reading magazines, using apps, news, etc, basically nothing that would use much storage. However, with the new retina apps, and the possibility of editing photos or videos on the device, it seems like more storage might be a wise choice. I'm thinking 32GB might be a good compromise between cost and size, as it more than doubles the storage of the 16GB model (since the system files are the same).

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I don't put any music/audio files on my iPad either, and I always have gotten the 32 GB size for the iPad (I've bought every generation so far).

If you want the ability to edit videos and photos, the bump in size would be nice. Most of the space on my iPad is taken up by apps and movies. I've filled up about 2/3 of my iPad so far.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

If you can afford it go with 32... just to be safe... I'm on 16gb but I don't keep any music on mine... it's all videos and apps and I'm at 1.8gb available... it's a tight squeeze at this point.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

I thought the 16 would be good . . . but I got the 64. I am syncing more than I thought I would. I thought I would not sync music but I am now, along with Podcasts, Movies etc. One thing I am finding surprisingly nice is iPhoto syncing and iPhoto on the iPad. Very good app . . . I am syncing the last 12 months worth of photos which is something like 2250 pics. The bulk of my storage is music, movies and photos. Since you can't add storage, I would get the most you can . . This is my first iPad and I, like you, will probably grow into it and find more and more things to do with it.

I am not going to vote . . just get the most you can fit into your budget.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

It's not like the $100 is significant why buying a device that expensive. It's just an issue of not wasting money on something I'll never use.

Is there any way to sync iPhone on the iPad with Aperture on the Mac? I want to get Aperture, as I am going to be getting a new DSLR soon, and I'd like to get the most out of my photos, and the ability to handle NEF (Nikon RAW).

However, it looks like the 32GB is a winner, at least poll wise!

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

32 has been the best for me. It's the perfect balance between storage and price.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

For what you say you will use it for I would say 32GB sounds about right.

If you think that in the future you might want to load movies and TV shows on it when you travel then you might want to look at the 64GB model.

Personally I use the 64GB model, but I do tend to sync a week or so worth of TV shows to it when I travel with it. Figure 2GB per episode and about 4GB per movie and you can see how they will fill space fast.

8. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I am very similar to you. I currently have 5.9GB on my 32GB iPhone 4S after 6 months. I did a fresh install and have 2.5GB on my iPad (decided on the 16GB version). Get the 16GB because your usage like mine doesn't warrant more storage. I currently have 70 apps, 500 songs, and 500 photos on the new iPad and I honestly use less than half of my apps that are installed.

9. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not much for watching video on a tiny screen, other than streaming YouTube clips, but that is a consideration if I ever wanted to. It would have to be some extreme travel to warrant that though...

Good to hear an opinion on the other side of things...