New iPad supplies constrained?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by r-sparks, May 2, 2012.

1. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I've no idea how long it normally takes to deliver an iPad 3 but the one I ordered a week ago direct from Apple's website is still in "Processing", so not even yet assigned to me in China, even though today is listed as the first possible day of delivery.

It was a bad time to order, with the iPad hitting several new countries last week.

Is anybody else having this issue?

2. VFC macrumors 6502a

It's probably being held up at the paint factory; that's where they apply the yellow screen coating along with the pink and green highlights in the corners....lol.

Seriously I suspect the hold up is due to the retina screen yield rate issue. I noticed all the local stores in my area are completely out of stock of all but the 16GB models; so the replenishment pipeline has stopped.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

According to a page 2 article....estimated shipping times have actually fallen to 3 - 5 days indicating more supply in the channel.

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Mine said "2-3 weeks" and it came on the last day of the third week.

5. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Thanks for the info. Mine still hasn't moved beyond "Processing" so there's no physical way it could get to me from China in time for the 9th May, which is the last day the website says it will arrive by—especially bearing in mind two of those days are a weekend.

6. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Apple store in London seems to have ipad in stock when I went there over the weekend, so does PC World. Not sure which model you are looking for, but you could try to pick one up in one of the high street stores and then cancel your online order.

7. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine on Saturday. Apple gave me an estimated delivery date between 15-17 of May.

Went into processing then shipped yesterday. Apple says I'll get it on the 10th, FedEx says the 8th.

Quick service for me anyways. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Oh, I'm in Canada if that has any bearing at all.

8. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I actually live almost within walking distance of an Apple Store but I wanted one straight off the production line to try and avoid manufacturing issues like a tinted screen, so ordered via Apple's website.

----------

I'm in the UK. Its pretty clear that the US and Canada have priority treatment because the Brit Apple store website still shows up to two weeks for delivery.

I know that Apple hates keeping stock, which is Tim Cook's biggest contribution to the company, but in situations like this it obviously works against their customers. But then again it's not like we're going to go elsewhere -- the iPad 3 is one of a kind right now, at least until other companies start using HD displays.