New iPad Sync to What?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danqi, Aug 6, 2012.

1. danqi macrumors member

I have a Mac Pro that is still running Snow Leopard (because of software incompatibility issues) and thus nor compatible with iCloud, a MacBook Air running Lion, and an iPhone 4s. I sync the iPhone to the Mac Pro (my main Mac) in the traditional way. I will now be getting an iPad and I wonder if I should sync and back it up to my Mac Pro also, or if I should go the iCloud way. Are there any advantages or disadvantages either way?

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

I think it partially depends on how much stuff you have on your iPad. I have much more than my allocated iCloud storage, and I'm not interested in paying to get more, so I use iTunes for that reason. When I upgraded from iPad2 to 3gen, I also had various issues restoring from the cloud which even the people in the Apple shop couldn't fix, so that's been another incentive for me to use iTunes. I still use the cloud as well, though, but for storage reasons I have to be a bit selective with the apps I connected up there.

3. dchao, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

I use both.

iCloud for all the emails (migrate from MM), calendars, contacts, Safar bookmarks, iCloud docs, Apps. And iTunes / 3rd party video app for videos (I don't keep any songs on my iPad) .

Since all the critical data are in iCloud and Mac Pro already, I use iTunes to do a full backups (for settings and preferences) only about once a month. Having a local backup allow me to restore my iPad without the Internet.

Yep, I would say I use iCloud for 95% of the time. And if they bring Gallery back, I would give 10/10 for iCloud.

I think Apple want iOS users to be able to detach themselves from a PC or a Mac. This is why they have put billion of dollars into that huge iCloud hosting center.