Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notofuspeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Hello.
According to a friend.
Regarding the use of the new iPad as a photography tool.
High resolution images downloaded from a web source are poorer quality than ones synced or loaded on by a camera kit.
Is this true and why?

And also theoretically the images should be crisper than a monitor due the greater resolution density, but it seems clearer on a the macbook pro. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Thanks

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, safari auto-downsizes high-res web images. It is a dumb thing, and it should be fixed by apple.

Until then, your best bet wold be to sync/dropbox/mail yourself the images.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
according to dropbox users, there is a known issue with dropbox downsizing images too.

one of the surefire ways to keep the photos at their native resolution is to directly transfer them to the tablet via the itunes 'apps' tab or use the apps native transfer options, eg. many apps have a wifi or http mode which allows you to import photos using your web browser.

Yes, safari auto-downsizes high-res web images. It is a dumb thing, and it should be fixed by apple.

Until then, your best bet wold be to sync/dropbox/mail yourself the images.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hello.
According to a friend.
Regarding the use of the new iPad as a photography tool.
High resolution images downloaded from a web source are poorer quality than ones synced or loaded on by a camera kit.
Is this true and why?

If you do save these images to the Camera roll (long-tap the image in Safari and select "Save Image"), they'll be full-sized and can be checked out in Photos or any app having access to the camera roll (for example, my personal fav, Photo Manager Pro). Not the easiest workaround (app switching is needed), but works.

----------

And also theoretically the images should be crisper than a monitor due the greater resolution density, but it seems clearer on a the macbook pro. Are my eyes deceiving me?

You can always use a third-party app with image info (even EXIF) display. The above-mentioned Photo Manager Pro (along with tons of other, similar apps) does display the size (width / height) of the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.