Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
The past two years, we've had new iPads in March - the low cost 9.7" iPad in March 2017, and an improved version in March 2018.

Will we see a revision to the current 9.7" iPad this month?

I'm trading a MacBook Pro for a Mac mini and buying myself and my gf one of these iPads so I want to know if I should wait a few weeks for the sake of some sort of redesign or price drop or spec bump?

What's the opinion of you iPad folk?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I honestly don’t know. The A10 is still an excellent chip and I’m not sure what else they could add to it. Laminated display isn’t likely and it has Apple Pencil support. I personally do not think they’ll add Face ID to it. I personally think the 2018 9.7 iPad is still a nice offered option within the iPad lineup.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
The past two years, we've had new iPads in March - the low cost 9.7" iPad in March 2017, and an improved version in March 2018.

Will we see a revision to the current 9.7" iPad this month?

I'm trading a MacBook Pro for a Mac mini and buying myself and my gf one of these iPads so I want to know if I should wait a few weeks for the sake of some sort of redesign or price drop or spec bump?

What's the opinion of you iPad folk?

Nobody knows for sure. Looks likely. But who knows.

Wait a few weeks it won’t kill you.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Wait until end of this month at least. You will likely have buyers remorse if a new one turns up just outside your return period. Anyway that’s my vote.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If it’s not an absolute need then there’s no reason to not wait atleast till the end of this month. Unless you come across a really good deal on the already good deal of the current model. Unless they blow us away with some surprise features on the next budget model, I’ll be sticking with my current 6th gen, runs just as fast and smooth as my 8 plus

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Besides the screen, what’s the issue with the 2017 model?

Nothing, working fine, battery a little degraded but as expected really, I just fancy an upgrade, depending on what's released that is.

I had looked at android but there doesn't seem to be anything that even remotely offers the same as the iPad, most come with Android 7 or 8, not 9 (that seems strange to me, apple wouldn't release a tablet in 2019 with 2017's OS), the vast majority don't get anything in the way of updates, and if they do they're certainly not supported anywhere near the same length as an iPad is.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Nothing, working fine, battery a little degraded but as expected really, I just fancy an upgrade, depending on what's released that is.

I had looked at android but there doesn't seem to be anything that even remotely offers the same as the iPad, most come with Android 7 or 8, not 9 (that seems strange to me, apple wouldn't release a tablet in 2019 with 2017's OS), the vast majority don't get anything in the way of updates, and if they do they're certainly not supported anywhere near the same length as an iPad is.

Android tablets pretty much aren't a thing anymore.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Android tablets pretty much aren't a thing anymore.

They are. Plenty of people don’t like apple or won’t pay apples prices. Android has just as many fanboys as Apple.

There are literally thousands of android tablets and some have great specs. What let’s them down for me personally is the companies behind them basically releasing them and forgetting they exist.

All it would take for their to be an actual competitor to the iPad is for the company to actually stand behind their products.

Before I got the 2017 iPad I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It was super cheap thanks to a deal so I bought one and a friend bought two.

But from the off all three had a WiFi issue. It would be fully connected. But there was no internet. To get it to work again you’d have to restart and clear the cache. We got three replacements that all had the same issue. So off we went to a Samsung shop who restored the software and claimed they found no issues.

The WiFi issue persisted. I called Samsung support and after three weeks finally got a call back. I was told yeah it’s a known software issue but we don’t know if we’ll be releasing a fix.

When I asked what I was supposed to do with my tablet given it was unusable and now outside of the 14 day return warranty they said wait till they released a fix.

I chucked it in a draw and went and got the iPad. Samsung still haven’t released a fix.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. I just think it’s a shame there’s so little support once released.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
They are. Plenty of people don’t like apple or won’t pay apples prices. Android has just as many fanboys as Apple.

There are literally thousands of android tablets and some have great specs. What let’s them down for me personally is the companies behind them basically releasing them and forgetting they exist.

All it would take for their to be an actual competitor to the iPad is for the company to actually stand behind their products.

Before I got the 2017 iPad I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It was super cheap thanks to a deal so I bought one and a friend bought two.

But from the off all three had a WiFi issue. It would be fully connected. But there was no internet. To get it to work again you’d have to restart and clear the cache. We got three replacements that all had the same issue. So off we went to a Samsung shop who restored the software and claimed they found no issues.

The WiFi issue persisted. I called Samsung support and after three weeks finally got a call back. I was told yeah it’s a known software issue but we don’t know if we’ll be releasing a fix.

When I asked what I was supposed to do with my tablet given it was unusable and now outside of the 14 day return warranty they said wait till they released a fix.

I chucked it in a draw and went and got the iPad. Samsung still haven’t released a fix.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. I just think it’s a shame there’s so little support once released.
That is exactly why people are saying that android tablets are dead though, they pump them out with outdated specs, outdated software, never get even basic security updates and whatever issues they come with out of the box are there to stay.

They are simply pumped out to boost a bit of revenue, even Samsung’s flagship tab s series don’t even use the current gen processors in them at their release.

I have 3 lg tablets and a Samsung tab a, along with my iPad, the android tablets suffice for the kids for their basic needs but I couldn’t stand the choppy performance on a day to day basis. Two of the lg models I have came out of the box with 5ghz wifi issues that have been known now since 2016 and no fix. Luckily for what the kids use them for it doesn’t effect them much.

Only reason I even have them is because their resale value is so crappy I got them for pennies on the dollar basically brand new in the box on Craigslist lol.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I think you've proved my point.
And there maybe a lot of Android tablets but how many of them can even compete with an entry level iPad? How many flagship Android tablets can you name without the word "Galaxy"?

I'm not hating on Android tablets. My very first tablet was a second gen Nexus 7, which I chose over an iPad because in my opinion it provided much better value than the competing iPad Mini 2. But once Google ended the Nexus line it was no longer possible to get a tablet that would always be running a stock version of the most current Android OS. Now there's just the occasional premium Galaxy tablet and a whole lot of budget devices, most of which take several months or even years to get the latest OS, if they ever get it at all.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
That is exactly why people are saying that android tablets are dead though, they pump them out with outdated specs, outdated software, never get even basic security updates and whatever issues they come with out of the box are there to stay.

They are simply pumped out to boost a bit of revenue, even Samsung’s flagship tab s series don’t even use the current gen processors in them at their release.

I have 3 lg tablets and a Samsung tab a, along with my iPad, the android tablets suffice for the kids for their basic needs but I couldn’t stand the choppy performance on a day to day basis. Two of the lg models I have came out of the box with 5ghz wifi issues that have been known now since 2016 and no fix. Luckily for what the kids use them for it doesn’t effect them much.

Only reason I even have them is because their resale value is so crappy I got them for pennies on the dollar basically brand new in the box on Craigslist lol.

Same. I’ll never buy another Samsung product again.

One of the reasons I stick with apple is the CS your device breaks you make an appointment and they fix or replace there and then.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Honestly, I own a iPad Pro 11”. And I bought my 6 year old a iPad 6th gen 9.7” model. I could easily use either one daily. The iPad 6th gen is just awesome for the money.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's possible that the iPad will get an update, Ming Chi Kuo did say that the current 9.7" iPad will be upgraded to a 10.2" screen alongside a new iPad mini update.

Personally i'm considering the upgrade to the new 12.9" iPad Pro from my current 2017 iPad Pro. Face ID, the new design and the new Apple Pencil are all appealing to me, i'm just waiting until i go to the Apple store and take a look :)

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
What good is updating the chip? I have been through numerous ipads, im still on the 9.7 pro, still doing the exact same things on it...

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
What good is updating the chip? I have been through numerous ipads, im still on the 9.7 pro, still doing the exact same things on it...
Future proofing, gain interest for someone who was on the fence, New chip might also have more ram on board for better multitasking. Lots of reasons, you rather them just update the outside and leave the rest the same?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think there's a good chance of a March update again, if not at an event then via a press release around the same time. Haven't the ipad models just been registered in India too? Probably a sign of a nearing release.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Future proofing, gain interest for someone who was on the fence, New chip might also have more ram on board for better multitasking. Lots of reasons, you rather them just update the outside and leave the rest the same?
I rather a whole new operating system to utilize the existing chip, imo its a waste

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.