New iPad/Verizon 4G LTE Plan Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I tried doing some searches in the forum, but am not sure I found the answer, so here goes:

I just purchased the "new" iPad at the local Apple Store, and signed up for the Verizon 4G LTE plan through the device (which I understand gave me a "prepaid" plan). I signed up for the $30/2GB plan, and will be charged every month unless I stop the plan. I know what happens if I use less than the 2GB per month (I'll just get charged each month, and there is no rollover of unused data), but what happens if I use MORE than the 2GB. I've spoken with a few Verizon reps, and it seems either that:

(1) Verizon will charge me $10 per 1 GB of extra data that use within that same month; or

(2) I can just purchase a new chunk of data (e.g., 2GB or 5GB), and it resets the 30-day clock for that new chunk of data. Otherwise, presumably I have no data until the the end of the 30-day period, at which point I pay another $30 and get another 2GB of data allotment.

In looking at the Verizon web site, it seems that the right answer is "2", but can someone confirm this, particularly the point that the 30-day clock gets reset when I purchase the additional data?

Many thanks. This seems far more confusing than it should be!

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

They told me 1. The second option is for the prepaid. 1 is if you add it onto your regular bill.

3. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Update...

In reading the fine print in the confirmation e-mail I received from Verizon, it appears to be "2": "If you purchase an additional Data Plan, the one month period, including the automatic renewal will change to the date the additional Data Plan is Activated and your Credit Card was charged. " But can anyone confirm?

4. Dunbar macrumors 6502

I don't know about option 2 but you will get a popup box if you go over the 2GB and asking if you want to buy another GB of data. On the cell phone side you can increase your data plan for a few days if you want and change it back before the next billing period starts and they just charge you the pro-rated amount. You can also just turn off mobile data in settings if you want to wait it out until your billing period starts over.