New iPad vs PS Vita ( developers please take a look)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMane, Apr 5, 2012.

1. MacMane macrumors regular

I know the new iPad and the ps vita have the same gpu, but does the vita produce better graphics and gaming performance since it is a dedicated gaming device with a smaller screen and lower resolution? ( hoping for some developers to respond) I would like to understand the difference. I am debating on getting a vita just because of the physical buttons but was wondering if there is a difference in graphics.

2. Yggbert macrumors regular

It's too early to tell, both of these devices are very recent.

3. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

If you're a hardcore gamer get a Vita. I think of the iPad as a hybrid where gaming is just one of the many things it's capable of.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

It doesn't really matter which has better graphics. The PS Vita is a dedicated gaming device, the iPad is not.

Problemo solved!!

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not a developer, but I would imagine the PS Vita will be better in terms of graphics. As you note, the same GPU doesn't have to power the massive retina display of the new iPad. So the HP that would be going towards powering the retina display can go towards making game play better.

6. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have both, they are 2 different machines.....I actually have the iPad with me more often than the Vita, but then again, I am a business professional and always on the road between meetings etc. I love playing games though so the Vita is a great way to bring PS3 with you on the road. Vita is a great machine, and I think there is room for both, I love certain games on the iPad that will never be on the Vita, and I love certain games on the Vita that will never come to iPad.....

Take this for what it's worth.....

7. soldierblue macrumors 6502

They have the same GPU, but the Vita has a lower res screen and it's coupled with what's probably a much stronger CPU. If you want a portable gaming machine, you can't get better than a Vita, it's an great piece of kit with a very nice screen.

8. tranceFusion macrumors member

Ipad - best general-use device
    Vita - best gaming performance
    3DS - best gameplay quality

If what you are looking for is a portable version of a home console, go with the Vita. However, for myself, I do my "hardcore" gaming at home on a full-size setup and mostly use mobile devices for games that kill a few minutes here and there. For this use, the ipad or 3ds make more sense. The 3ds actually has a very good collection of downloadable kill-5-minutes type of games, as well as a good collection of full-length deeper games for when you want to invest more time into it. Of course, the ipad does much more than gaming, but it doesn't have many, if any, "deep" games.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The third generation iPad has to push 83% more pixels than the PS Vita, so you will never see the same performance on an iPad as on the PS Vita.

Screen size doesn't matter. The GPU in the PS Vita is also slightly modified by Sony - I don't know what exactly is different, but Sony says the GPU in the Vita performs better than the standard SGX543MP4 GPU.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

They don't really share the same GPU as such.

The new iPad has a SGX543MP4 while the PS Vita has a SGX543MP4+ and dedicated VRAM.

No one knows for sure what the "+" sign implies in the implementation of the SGX543 in the PS Vita.

Also the SGX543MP4 implementation in the new iPad has access to a 128-bit memory controller (4 x 32-bit) and I highly doubt they are clocked the same (considering the Apple A5X SoC is still on 45 nm versus the PS Vita SoC which is 40 nm).

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly the most important thing to consider is which will get the games you want.

If you want casual to somewhat serious (but mostly older ports moved over to the iOS rather than new games) games, the iPad might be fine for you. Especially if you want more versatality and want more functionality out of your device (or don't want to get two different devices).

If you really want the hardcore games and want them to be new releases and not just ports over of games, you might want to consider the Vita. Though it is kinda early to see how many games it will actually attract. Especially if you don't mind having a second device on top of another. Or if you have no reason for a tablet except for gaming.

Keep in mind though it's a bit early to see how successful the Vita will be at getting a good game library. In the end even if you just want the device for gaming, I'd go with the one you think is going to get the most games you want (which may be the iPad if the Vita ends up being a flop for attracting developers).

12. FrenzyBanana macrumors regular

psvita has only limited games. after you finish 3-5 games it will just sit on your cabinet and eat dust.and you will go back to ipad most of the time.
    if only vita can use android games. or ps2 and ps1 games. then it will be the best gaming device.

its not all about graphics.
    i will choose 3ds for gaming. but i prefer ipad for multi purposes (small games, web browsing, photos and videos).
    but if your just playing the gaming device at home. why not buy ps3? its the best

13. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Not a developer but I would like to chime in. I had a vita and it's the best gaming handheld from a hardware standpoint; period. Problem is the cost of the the games, the cost of proprietary memory cards and the OS is no where near as fluid as iOS.
    In the end I returned mine after I got the iPad 3. I'm at the point where on occasion I want to play a game or two and then quickly browse the web or open up a app. Vita just does not do that; built in browser is crap and there's no apps. I came to the conclusion that I would spend much more money in the end if I stayed with the Vita compared to the iPad.
    The iPhone, iPod touch and iPad is one physical controller away from dominating Sony and Nintendo combined. Or Apple can ditch the iPod touch and release a handheld with physical controls. Apple makes the hardware and the software developers will do the rest.