New iPad water sensor

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reclusive46, Jun 4, 2012.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Oit of interest does the new iPad have any water sensors in the headphone jack or dock connector?

2. Kralledr macrumors member

3. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Hmm...Ok. Did have a look and couldn't see any. I know the iPad 2 did not have any.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

couldnt see mine either. i was curious too! hmmmm

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I couldn't see one in the dock connector, but it's pretty easy to see the one in the headphone jack.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The original iPad had 2 one in the dock one in the headphone jack. The ipad2 has none and the new iPad is lacking them too.

7. Kralledr macrumors member

The New iPad have 1 in the Headphone Jack and 2 in the Dock Connector i just saw them is very Deep in the headjack try Unsing a lamp

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ahh, now I know why when you take one into the Apple store to buy Applecare + that's the first thing they do...

9. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Looks like they stopped trusting customers again then lol. There was none in iPad 2.

10. Scottyee macrumors regular

I'm admittedly a total newbie on the suject of iPad water sensors.
    I assume these sensors are installed to signal whether water/liquid has entered the iPad dock/headphone sockets, so ...

1) What specific locations on the iPad 3 are the water sensors located.
    2) Exactly what do the sensors look like?
    3) What does one look for on the sensor to determine whether it's been activated by water/liquid or not?
    4) Closeup pics of these iPad water sensors would be appreciated. :)

11. jgc macrumors regular

1) As someone mentioned (I don't have an iPad 3 so idk), one down the headphone socket and two up the dock connector.
    2) White pieces of plastic-y/paper-y looking stuff (typically small circles 2-3 mm in diameter).
    3) The white circle turns pic.
    4) Can't do, sorry. Most electronics have them sorta hidden in them and unibody devices make them hard to find. If you have an old phone that has an insertable battery, you can usually find one by taking the battery out.

EDIT: Pic
    [​IMG]

12. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I know they were having issues with people not being in contact with water setting them off. There have been cases when people go to the gym with their phone in their pockets and the sheer moisture has been setting them off. I'm guessing a sensor could be internal and not as exposed in the previous versions.