Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Since the battery capacity is similar or in some cases even larger than the one in MacBooks - why not use the more powerful chargers and a MagSafe connector?

Imagine charging your MacBook Pro with a tiny dock connector, where you could practically charge it only when shut off. Otherwise it would just keep discharging or in the best scenario - keep at the same battery level. Nobody would buy that kind of laptop. Nobody would even suggest - as they do with iPad - "Hey, just charge it overnight!".

After the introduction of wireless sync I was almost certain that the obsolete dock connector (still no USB 3.0?!) would be simply phased out. Let's be honest - MagSafe is an ideal way to charge a portable unit. No force needed, it just snaps on. Hell, they even made a SmartCover in the same fashion. Just not the charger...

But then again... there is always iPad 4. Sorry... iPad - early 2013.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
MagSafe is power only. Can't transfer data through it. Not everybody uses the wifi sync.

And for continuity I'm assuming.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
I think to charge the battery quicker will require an additional high capacity charging port like the Motorola Xoom. You can't really push any more juice at faster speed though the 30 pin connector.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I realise MagSage is power only. Plenty of space on the iPad for another port. Also no problem to add aditional pins to MagSafe.

All I wanted to say is, that iPad and it's battery outgrew the small dock connector. Especially in the latest - 42Wh reincarnation.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It does take twice the time to charge...Mine had its first charge last night..What used to take 3-4 hours now takes about 6-7 from 10%. I guess a MagSafe might have been an option Apple considered, but as long as you charge overnight....It's no big deal.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I think to charge the battery quicker will require an additional high capacity charging port like the Motorola Xoom. You can't really push any more juice at faster speed though the 30 pin connector.

There is no reason the 30 pin connector cannot handle a higher amperage charger.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have the second generation Mag-Safe on my 2010 MBP, as well as the first generation on my earlier MBP. While I understand Apples intent, these never really lived up to the hype.

With just a little caution & common sense, I've never had a problem with any power cord on any laptop I've used over the last two decades. It's a solution to a problem very few people I know, have ever had.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
but as long as you charge overnight....It's no big deal.

As I've said before - would you even consider this arugment on a laptop? The kind with a similar sized battery and a similar battery life (~8 hours). Again imagine a MacBook with a charger like this?

The only was this is "acceptable" with the new tablet, is because of the iPad legacy. The argument - it's always been like this. Which itself is another FAIL.

----------

There is no reason the 30 pin connector cannot handle a higher amperage charger.

Higher electrical current would put more thermal stress on the small pins inside the connector. Are you absolutely certain (have tested, have data about the wire diameter and it's resistance), that it could handle 3, 4, 5 ampers for a long period of time, without the surrounding plastic melting? I am not...

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
I realise MagSage is power only. Plenty of space on the iPad for another port. Also no problem to add aditional pins to MagSafe.

All I wanted to say is, that iPad and it's battery outgrew the small dock connector. Especially in the latest - 42Wh reincarnation.

Do you think Apple would really have a second port on the iPad? Look at their design patterns...their past devices. It wouldn't make any aesthetic sense (for Apple) to have one port for power and one port for data...when one is plugged in, the other is bare. Or when you're using the iPad regularly, you have two empty ports.

It would make more sense to add additional pins to MagSafe (btw I don't think it's as easy as "no problem" :p ) than to create another port.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
On another post earlier I stated that this 2012 iPad should've gone with improved wall charger. Make it 15 or 20watts in order to compensate bigger battery on iPad. Old iPad could still use this to charge their iPad even faster, and the new iPad could be charge at the same rate as iPad 2 was. Increase the current. Simple physic really.
Apple don't need to make it like MagSafe, just the same ol' dock connector with improved wattage.
But alas I got some downvotes for that. They said nothing wrong with the new iPad, not a common problem and it might just a dud and failed wall charger. Peope could be so negative (and wrong) sometime :D

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Do you think Apple would really have a second port on the iPad? Look at their design patterns...their past devices. It wouldn't make any aesthetic sense (for Apple) to have one port for power and one port for data...when one is plugged in, the other is bare. Or when you're using the iPad regularly, you have two empty ports.

It would make more sense to add additional pins to MagSafe (btw I don't think it's as easy as "no problem" :p ) than to create another port.

I agree. 2 charging ports on an Apple machine is a no-go. I also agree, that redesigning the MagSafe could prove difficult.

But then again - a device, which cannot be effectively charged while in use (which the new iPad sadly is). That doesn't sound like Apple also.

I think the smartest thing would be to eliminate the Dock connector completely. It's a "DVD of connectors". An obsolete technology, which is kept only for compatibility's sake. Sure, some people still don't use the WIFI sync. Sure, some people don't use audio over bluetooth. But then again - some people still use COM port devices, printers with LPT connection, PS/2 mice and criticise Ipad, because it doesn't have a SD card slot, 3 USB ports and a VGA connector.

The reasoning for switching the dock connector with MagSafe is the same as with eliminating the DVD devices from the new laptops.

----------

On another post earlier I stated that this 2012 iPad should've gone with improved wall charger.

It not entirely clear that that is even physically possible (meaning that the connector could withstand that kind of power - I don't think it could).

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
I always wondered the same.

Would be very handy to just disconnect the macbook and use the charger for the iPad... iPhone too. It's not a hole on the device (like USB port would be), just a little surface with magnets! Can't be that hard surely?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Everyone is a product designer and thinks they've thought of something Apple didn't. Can you say, egotistical? :rolleyes:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Cost. ;)

Plus mobile devices get a one connector dock.

Some day the 30 pin doc will get smaller when it is compelling enough
to break backwards compatibility.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Apple should really consider replacing the 30 pin USB 2.0 connector. The best iteration would be to go with a magnetic thunderbolt connector which would increase speed and also allow for more power to flow to the iPad. This however might cause a decline in Windows iPad users since more Windows based machines don't have thunderbolt.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You could replace this thread with one full of complaints how people have scratched the side of their ipad, or chipped / scratched the screen with the magsafe adapter.

Remember, there are magnets along the side for the smart cover, and again, near the display to hold it closed.

So, imagine if you took a nice metal connector, that has magnets within, and got it in close proximity... ?

As for the charge currents, in a lab-grade world, where NOBODY had dirt / debris covering their plugs, or worn connectors - I can see no reason why they don't pump more current through it. But the reality is exactly the opposite - and pumping more power through a compromised connection, is a recipe for for unwanted events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.