New iPad wifi becoming scarce...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdoug, Apr 7, 2012.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I own a black 64 GB wifi and thought I might be able to pick up a white 32 for my wife. All BB's out of stock in this area. Target and Walmart zippo.
    Guess I'll order one from apple and if I can get one sooner cancel the order. I really didn't think it would be a problem this time around.

2. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Same here. BB no 32GB and no 4G. Seems like same supply they got at launch.

3. VFC macrumors 6502a

Apple has acknowledged a problem with Wifi. I suspect they are holding up production until they get it resolved.

4. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I've had 2 iPad 3s - neither with WiFi problems and my wife's iPad 3 has no wifi problems.

5. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

I had to go into NYC to get my Wifi new iPad. Wifi works perfect thankfully

6. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I walked in and picked up a 64gb white wifi today at Green Street Soho Apple store.

7. Hoggles, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

What problems? Holding up production? Where is there any official statement from Apple regarding a widespread wifi problem or a production stoppage? Been some articles about wifi, but all I see is those articles using the same quotes from a few users on a few forums. I think most of that is user fault and or the occasional faulty pad...which can happen. Same with the sky is falling mentality on the tiny bit more heat this version produces. Again....no real problem...just anal retentive people and over anxious "journalists"...

There is a certain number of units out of the millions that get produced, that will be defective in some way. That's the simple fact of hi tech devices. Widespread problem....not in the slightest. People with problems are almost ALWAYS the majority on support forums....obvious right?

No issues here at all. Mine is 100% perfect....as are the vast majority of iPads. Apple produced an incredible piece of tech with the latest iPad. Love it.

8. VFC macrumors 6502a

Here is one site that has the problem fairly well documented:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/04/apple...lecare-to-replace-affected-units/#more-158125

...... "According to an internal AppleCare document, Apple is actively investigating a series of WiFi-related issues affecting the third-generation iPad. Since the new iPad’s launch, many users have been complaining about third-generation iPad WiFi issues ranging from connection drops, slow download and upload speeds, or the device’s inability to even pickup local WiFi networks. A thread discussing the issue exists on Apple’s online support forums has almost amassed 700 replies from users with similar issues. Here are some examples from the forum thread".......

9. darka55a551n2 macrumors newbie

None of the walmarts near my house had any new iPads, apparently they got an initial shipment of like 5 all together and no more lol another local store here had them, but only two :/

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the wifi only models are affected since they don't have the black bar up top like the cellular models?

11. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I've read about the black bar possibly making a difference, but my understanding is that the 4G antennas are behind the black bar and the wifi antenna is near the speaker grill on the bottom? Don't the wifi only and 4G models have the same wifi antenna in the same location?

12. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I got the last wifi model in the store at two pm on Saturday.

13. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

All my surrounding apple stores (7) have been out of All 4gs and 32G. Only 16g wifi and 64g wifi and a few 4G. Been out of stock the past 2 weeks.

14. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I was able to pick up two 16GB wifi whites on two separate occasions without any issues with stock.