new Ipad, wifi isn't working.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smetvid, Sep 10, 2010.

1. smetvid macrumors 6502

Just bought a iPad during my lunch break and it is not finding the wifi at work. My iMac finds it right away but the iPad finds nothing. I bought the 3G model but I really don't want to use my 3G service at work when we have a 50mbit fiber internet connection that I should be able to make use of via wifi.

Should I be concerned that maybe the wifi isn't working on this unit? A co worker has a Droid X and he has no problem getting wifi.

Perhaps I am just doing something wrong. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

Very stupid question, but to be sure.. Have you turn on the WiFi in the Preferences, right?

3. smetvid thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did. I just got it to work a few minutes ago. For whatever reason the wifi will not work from my office at work with the iPad. My iMac has no problem but the iPad just could not find it. Once I walked down the hallway it found it. It now stays on in my office but it is super slow and doesn't always work. Clearly the wifi isn't as good as my iMac which has no problem at least finding the signal even if it is somewhat weak in here.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Write to www.Apple.com/feedback

5. prot0type macrumors regular

If you just purchased the ipad, did you connect it to itunes and update to the latest version?

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Move closer to your router.

Seriously, are you living underneath a rock? This has been a known problem for months. And the above tip is not mine, it's Apple's.

7. chrisiw macrumors regular

Agree with this! Mine was very poor on WiFi before the update:rolleyes:

8. smetvid thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys thanks for the help. Yes I did do the update right away. I didn't notice it working any better. At home my wifi seems to be working very well although progressive video does seem to be a tab bit slow. I read Youtube can run a bit slow but this was with Vimeo as well. Overall I'm pretty happy but clearly the wifi in the iPad is not the same as a computer wifi, for me at least. I'm not sure what the reason for that is or if maybe there is some type of fix. Perhaps the wifi in the iMacs is just that good.

9. bigddybn macrumors member

I've never owned a proper apple computer just several "i" devices. All of them had pretty bad wifi. Just nature of the beast.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I would contact apple and replace it right away. Our 2 units work great. We have never had this issue.

11. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I had to send my unit in for a replacement after trying all of the suggestions on Apple's Support page to no avail. I should get the new unit by Friday...hopefully the wi-fi hardware will be better on the replacement model.

It's definitely a widespread problem. Very disappointing for an otherwise very slick device...

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

UPDATE:

I sent the iPad back to Apple at their request as I couldn't get the iPad to maintain a wi-fi connection at just 40 feet from my wireless router (my iPhone 4 had no problem whatsoever). Apple sent it back to me stating nothing was wrong with it.

WTF?! My opinion of Apple has taken a serious blow...

13. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

40ft seems really far away.....are you trying to steal your neighbour's wifi!!!
    :D

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

40ft = 13 -14m, doesn't it? IMHO, that is not an inconsiderable distance, unless it is line-of-sight and the router is transmitting on 100% power. I can't get more than 10 meters from my router in my apartment with either my iPad or my laptop before the signal strength starts to drop, and they both recognise the same number of networks (from my neighbours and the offices next door) with the same signal strengths.

Admittedly I cannot get a WiFi signal in some of my universities lecture theatres where some with laptops can, but then again they need to rejuice their devices after 3-4 hours and I can go all day even with 3G service.

15. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

There will be some attenuation of the signal compared to being 5 feet away, of course. However, I can get 5 Mbps download speeds over WiFi using my iPhone 4 sitting in the same chair as when testing my iPad which trickles at about 15 Kbps (Kilobits, not Megabits) when it does manage to connect (which isn't often).