New Ipad Wifi issues - any one ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ninadpchaudhari, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ninadpchaudhari macrumors newbie

2. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

I'm hesitant to say that I may be affected. Maybe. I have been noticing poor wifi reception when I'm downstairs in my house on the couch, with the Apple router being upstairs - I'm basically in the worst spot (diagonal across floors) for wifi reception. I've noticed that I will consistently get one bar of wifi reception on the iPad 3. And while I haven't done any comparison yet, I don't think my iPhone 4S gets such poor reception, surprisingly. (I am at work now. I will check when I go home). Nor any Mac laptops, but I assume they use much more powerful wifi antennas.

Moving over to the next room - closer to the router but still on the floor below - it will change to 2 bars of wifi, which I've noticed is pretty much the same as the iPad 2 we also have in the house.

I'm hoping it's nothing (or can be fixed via software if it's indeed a problem). So far, it's not a big deal to me. I'm not having any trouble with wifi actually disconnecting or re-establishing a connection.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My iPad 3 WiFi performance is as it was on the iPad 2, quite good.

If anything I am getting a little stronger signal than the iPad 2

4. terrywfoster macrumors regular

5. mmbecks7, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

mmbecks7 macrumors newbie

6. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Our WiFi on the New iPad is better the our iPad2

7. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Mixed results

I'm not sure but sometimes i dont get good reception in the living room as good as my iPad 1 is getting, sometimes its fine. There are times that when i'm in my room (where my router is) the webpage stalls and I have to toggle wifi to get back to surfing again. Hope this can be remedied by a software update.

8. illini71 macrumors member

Same here. I'm noticing better connections from the same places i had lesser connections with the iPad2.

9. NightCastle macrumors member

My wife and I were sitting in a room where we both had our 4G iPads oriented horizontally. Mine was getting a signal and downloading google.com and hers kept failing to load the google.com web page. The Wireless router was a few rooms away and was to our left. I noticed that her wireless antenna was pointing toward the right while mine was pointing to the left. I had her rotate the iPad to match the direction mine was oriented and that seemed to fix the issue. Interestingly enough, despite not being able to load the web page (when it was oriented so that the antenna was pointing to the right), she had the same Wi-Fi signal strength as me, but the page just wouldn't finish loading until she switched the orientation so that the wireless antenna was pointing toward the router. Btw, we deliberately did not have the 4G turned on. I don't know, but maybe this can shed some light on the situation for some of you.

10. Techwriter macrumors regular

My Wi-Fi reception isn't good either. I compared the new iPad's reception to my iPod Touch and where the iPad doesn't have any at all, the iPod Touch has 2, sometimes 3 bars.

It's odd. I don't know whether this is a hardware issue or a software problem that can be corrected in future iOS updates.

Since this is not a wide-spread issue, I'm considering returning this iPad for a different unit. I hate to do this as my iPad doesn't have any flaws.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The WiFi signal on my new iPad is noticeably stronger than my iPad 2. I have my Airport Extreme all the way down in our basement, and up in my bedroom two floors up from there, I get 12-15 Mbps at the slowest. That was definitely not the case on my old iPad.

12. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

There were quite a few wifi problems with the iPad 1; I had a lot of mystery drops, and dozens of times when I had to turn it on and off to get a signal. There were a ton of outraged threads on Apple support forums. One (or more) of the software updates took care it it and it's been solid ever since. However, if I recall correctly the problems persisted though much of 2010.

I don't have an iPad 3 yet (afraid of my wife) but my law partner has one that I configured and it seemed to have a robust wifi connection.

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I notice that it's holding a better connection, when I'm tethered to my 4S.
    My iPad 2 would drop the connection every so often.
    It stays connected to iTunes better too.

14. AceCoolie macrumors regular

I've noticed this as well. I've been meaning to add a WiFi repeater to my home network but hadn't gotten around to it. The iPad2 worked OK but I'm noticing my iPad3 is having a little more trouble.

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Great wi-fi reception on the two wi-fi-only iPads we have, one black, the other white. No problems or issues.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

My wifi reception seems to be fine so far at home, though obviously I've only had it since Friday so issues could still develop. I wonder now how it would perform on public wifi networks. I hope this is something that can be fixed with a software update.

18. Djay1 macrumors member

I have just recently noticed that my iPad 3 has more signal variance. It drops to 2 bars and frequently 1 bar versus my iPad 1 that generally maintained a steady 3 bars in the same household locations.

19. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

Maybe the iPad 3 wifi radio is more accurate - i.e. able to adjust to signal strength changes better than earlier iPads? I'm assuming the iPad 1 and 3 don't use the same wifi radio hardware.

*note: I am not a technician, nor did I stay in a holiday inn express last night. I'm just making a guess.*

20. elmz macrumors regular

The new iPad definitely loads pages quicker for me. But I think that has more to do with faster processing speed and better OS.

21. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

22. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Mine is really poor at time. Sitting 5 feet from my router I can drop from 3 bars to 2 randomly it seems. I am connected to a Wireless-N 5GHz network. At work my iPad 2 would get full signal strength connected to the same router setup and the new iPad will stay on 2 bars and drop to 1 a lot. I haven't tested connecting to the 2.4GHz side yet.

23. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Mine is definitely stronger, very noticeable on school campus as well, getting much better reception than my past iPad 2.

24. eq2675 macrumors regular

Not here. Been running strong since last Friday. I did do the network settings reset on Friday to free up some "other" space when looking at the bar in iTunes

25. cipad macrumors member

Better than my iPhone4, a bit worse than the MBP. But also better than the iPad1 I had before, so I'm really happy with it.