New iPad - WiFi or 3G/4G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by creativedogmedia, Mar 18, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Coming from 1st gen iPad and curious....I have been using a 3G/4G MiFi with my current iPad. I travel frequently to tier 1 cities and usually don't have any issues getting a solid connection. Just picked up the WiFi iPad this morning but wondering if I should have gone 3G/4G. I don't pay for my MiFi but would have to pay for the service on the iPad.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on how much not carrying the MiFi is worth to you. You're the only one that can answer that question.

3. creativedogmedia, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Good point...is tethering a part of the LTE iPad through Verizon?

EDIT: I see that it is. I could get rid of my $50/mo hotspot through Sprint and use my iPad as a hotspot for $30/mo. That makes it easier.

4. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I always choose the cellular model, as it gives me the freedom of portable data whenever needed. Almost negated using my smartphone as the screen size is just awesome and practical. The LTE data speeds people are reporting are amazing too. Blows Sprint 3G and 4G WIMAX away; well until they fire up LTE this year.

Put it this way, it's like getting broadband, a DVR, smartphone etc. Once you have one of them, it's hard to go backwards. I tried a wifi only tablet for a while and just found it extremely frustrating and limiting to use.

5. chapel321 macrumors member

I have a 1st Gen iPad 64g/3g ATT, I almost never used the 3g, and when I jailbroke my iphone i surely didn't, I just wireless tether using MyWi for a one-time 20.00 purchase instead of 20+ a month. So when I ordered the new 3rd Gen iPad i just got the wifi only and do the same. I'm pretty sure the new iPhone will be LTE and I'll continue to do the same. Just my .02 cents.