New Ipad without an Iphone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by McIpad, Mar 21, 2012.

1. McIpad macrumors newbie

I went to Best Buy yesterday to buy the new iPad and the rep asked me if I had an iphone. I said no, I use an android and he said that the majority of the people who buy ipads use an iphone. He told me that I would probably be better off buying an android tab if I use an android phone. I just wanted to see if any other iPad owners use a different type of phone or is it better to have an iPhone with the iPad.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The only advantage I can think of for having an iPhone with an iPad is that some of the apps (the ones marked as being "universal") can be shared between them. So you might save a few bucks on apps. Also, things like syncing contacts and calendars might be easier between an iPhone and an iPad than between an iPad and an Android phone. But if you are happy with your Android phone, I don't really see a need to switch just because you are getting an iPad.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Bs

Thats BS. You don't need someone to tell you what's better for you. :) just go with what you like. Besides, nothing can beat the iPad experience YET.There is the issue of data syncing but there are many ways to handle that.

4. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

there are some advantages, but honestly i like my phones with android and my tablets with Ios.

5. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

+1 on this. I love my android phone, and equally enjoy using my new Ipad.

6. Rove macrumors member

I have an Galaxy Nexus and an iPad for a tablet. Getting best of both worlds. Dont see why they both have to be on the same OS (other then the savings of not having to buy the same app twice)

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Best buy sales people are not known for making choice that are best for you. They stear you in the direction that is best for them.

Overall Bestbuy is slimy in my opinion. They are just step above Radio Shack. :p

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Thats crazy talk.
    Although it is nice having booth as all info is synched to both via iCloud.

9. homeboy macrumors 6502

I upgraded from an iPad 2 and a Nokia E52 to an iPad 3 and a Lumia 800.

iOS and Windows PHone 7 gives me best of both worlds and Nokia allow tethering which means that I won't need to waste money on a second contract, but most importantly Nokia does offline GPS which is a HUGE plus for me.

Both OS have their strenghts and weaknesses and I'm happy that I get to enjoy the good of both.

10. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Another mention of intelligent Best Buy staff ;)

Ant

11. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

heh.

my wife and i both have android phones and the robots and fruit devices play nicely together just fine.

12. McIpad thread starter macrumors newbie

So true...The rep even took the time to call over one of his Best Buy buddies to help him explain to me the advantages of having an iPad and an Iphone. They went on and on for about 20 minutes before I told them I was in a rush. I probably would have walked away sooner but he was the cashier and he had the key that opened the lock to the iPads. :rolleyes:

13. mwulf67, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

mwulf67 macrumors regular

Not sure why everyone is ripping this rep...he stated a reasonable, if not accurate, fact (majority of iPad owners use an iPhone) and then stated a subjective opinion...it might be better to stick with same OS/ecosystem...once again a reasonable opinion, even if you happen to disagree with it...

14. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

My friend has an iPad 2 and a dumb phone. Seriously.. ;)

15. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I wish Apple would integrate the iphone and ipad more.. Like HP did with the Tochpad + HP phones.. I want to see my text messages traverse to the iPad (not just iMessage). I want to see phone call alerts come up on the iPad (when synced via bluetooth to the iphone) and be able to use the iPad as a large speakerphone since it has a nice speake/microphone built in..

They are missing out on great opportunities here. I am sure it'll come slowly and eventually though. Apple does things way later but at least it's usually the best way to do it when they get to it.

16. pdawg macrumors regular

I am one of the minority who got the iPad first generation first way before getting an iPhone. I had a very old Nokia phone and just did not take the plunge until later when I got my iPhone4 (had already shelled out too much for the iPad and did not want to additionally add the iPhone till I had to). Sales people are ridiculous. Just ignore the information that does not apply. Lots of nice non-iPhone phones out there.

17. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

whenever I buy anything at Best Buy, including my new 3rd gen iPad, I emphasize that I know exactly what I want and that I need to be in and out as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, I'm sure they would have tried to sell me a dumbTab to sync w/my dumbPhone.

18. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

19. tranceFusion macrumors member

You can sync all your Google mail, contacts, calendar, etc with the ipad via Google's Exchange server.

20. waynep macrumors 6502

Our Best Buy does not have the most knowledgable sales people.

I use an Android phone and I just bought a new iPad. I actually prefer the Android phone now that I have been using it for a while. My wife has an iPhone so I am very familiar with those as well.

Get the iPad, it's the best tablet on the market by far.

21. number84 macrumors 6502

Totally ridiculous. I have a blackberry and iPad. Even if I didn't have a blackberry my phone would definitely be an Android. But I wouldn't buy an Android tablet (at least not now).

22. tanboom macrumors member

That's partly true but personally I prefer android phone with iPad - you can get best of both world. :)

23. ripkord macrumors 6502

Yeah same here, I like to alternate between both!

24. turkey1, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

turkey1 macrumors member

I have a galaxy s2 and love my iPad. I found out real fast that loving your Android phone doesn't mean u will love an Android tab. I've had a Toshiba thrive and a Asus transformer, and hated my time with them. The Asus went into a boot loop after the ics update and won't turn on again. I would try an iPhone if they made it in a proper size. anyone know if apple plans to release a bigger iPhone?

25. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

The only reason he told you this is because for some reason they push android over iOS all the time. I am not sure really why though...Maybe they do better with Android or have higher margins. But EVERY time I am in the BB phone section, or VZW store, and even At&t, I always hear the reps trying to talk someone out of an iPhone and into a Droid. And I mean literally EVERY time I am in one of these stores. Just 3 weeks ago they tried to do it to my Dad even after he went in VZW and asked for a 4S, and told them he had an iPad. He called me and I met him there about 20 minutes later and the girl had the 4S that he asked for, but still in the box, and she also had the new Razor which was out of the box and she was giving him the full tour of the phone saying it was a much better choice. I asked her why, even when he asked to purchase a 4S would she bring another model out and try to sell him that? I said what difference does it make? Her response was "I just think this is a much nicer phone". I said, "Yes, it is nice, now put it away and give him the iPhone."

I'd also be curious to know why exactly they do this so much? Is it just a margin thing?