Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'm having issues with interference with my video baby monitor on my 2.4ghz band - it is SO slow.

Unfortunately, it appears that Apple did away with the Interference Robustness on the recent Time Capsule firmware. :mad: So I thought if I could get the iPad on my 5ghz it may help with the interference issue. I'm able to see my 5ghz network, but when I try to connect and enter my password, it says "failed to join" and "unable to join the network".

Am I missing something?:confused:

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Try clicking the blue arrow and then "Forget this network." if that fails, try reset network settings under General.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
No problems with either Airport Extreme or some Belkin router @ 5 Ghz.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Try unplugging the router to reset it. Works for me when I have wifi issues with ios devices.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'm having issues with interference with my video baby monitor on my 2.4ghz band - it is SO slow.

Unfortunately, it appears that Apple did away with the Interference Robustness on the recent Time Capsule firmware. :mad: So I thought if I could get the iPad on my 5ghz it may help with the interference issue. I'm able to see my 5ghz network, but when I try to connect and enter my password, it says "failed to join" and "unable to join the network".

Am I missing something?:confused:

You can still download Airport 5.6 from Apple direct if you like that one better.
I just checked and it still has all the 5 ghz setting in it.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. So I ordered both a Black and White iPad - not knowing which one I would keep. I decided the keep the white one so I packed the black one up to go back.

After seeing the suggesions above, I reset my network settings to no avail, then I erased all content, to no avail. Now this was really bothering me, so I went and grabbed the black one (which has been erased) and wouldn't you know it works. What the heck!?!? I've never heard of a band not working. I guess both need to go back, worst of all I installed my PhantomSkinz on the back and SGP on the front. Ugh!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I had some trouble with a particular channel before - I had to manual set my 5GHz channel for my MacBook Air (and iPad 2, IIRC) to connect to it, rather than simply leave it on auto. Might be worth a shot to manually select the channel.

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for the responses.

I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. So I ordered both a Black and White iPad - not knowing which one I would keep. I decided the keep the white one so I packed the black one up to go back.

After seeing the suggesions above, I reset my network settings to no avail, then I erased all content, to no avail. Now this was really bothering me, so I went and grabbed the black one (which has been erased) and wouldn't you know it works. What the heck!?!? I've never heard of a band not working. I guess both need to go back, worst of all I installed my PhantomSkinz on the back and SGP on the front. Ugh!

Try a firmware restore before you take it back. Wifi does strange things sometimes.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
connected to my 5ghz fine.

full signal, but that's because i'm sitting like 10 feet away lol

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks again guys for the feedback. After messing around with it a little more last night - I gave up and scheduled a Genius appointment. At first I think they thought I was crazy, but sure enough they replicated the issue. They said they never heard of the issue before and they would be running tests on my iPad. They switched it out for me and I'm happy to say I'm composing this while connected to my 5ghz network.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.