new ipad ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

I'm seriously thinking of getting the iPad 2, till i saw on on Macrumors about a possible Retina display for the iPad 3 with higher resolutions.... along side IOS5.

WOuld this them mean next month ? As WWDC showed off Lion and iCloud, so I would expect IOS to be released the same timeframe as Lion.

Question now is.... Should i hold back now on getting the iPad 2 or not?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no guarantee that iPad 3 will be released simultaneously with iOS 5. That was just Techunwrapped's own speculation, which was pretty much based on nothing. iOS 5 will be released in the fall, not in the summer like Lion. That puts iOS 5 to September at the earliest.

3. simsaladimbamba

iOS 5 comes in Fall 2011, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion comes in July 2011.
    [​IMG]

And as the mantra goes, buy now if you need now. But if you can wait, wait. We don't know, there are only rumours, and they come back now and again, as a iPad 3 release in the fall has been rumoured for a while.

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

The iPad 2 works very well and its display is already gorgeous. Of course Retina display will be an improvement, but IMHO it will matter only if your main usage relies highly on graphics like 1080p HD videos or highly elaborated games (that would yet need to be developed to take profit of the improved resolution).
    I wouldn't wait. Plus iPad 3 this year is really just a rumor, it sounds unlikely as far as Apple doesn't like to modify its product refresh cycle.
    Last and not least, whenever iPad 3 comes, you will always have the possibility to sell your used iPad 2 at a good value and upgrade.