Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verithingeoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Hi
I have a new IPad on order for delivery soon. My 5 year old Ipad series 2 is on it's last legs. I backed it up to my Mac via Itunes. Can I just down load the backup to my new Ipad air?

Tia

Geoff

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
That you can. There are certain things which aren't included in the backup (which you may already know) such as iTunes purchases, which you can add with the transfer purchases option in iTunes. iCloud photos, which will sync back with iCloud again once set up. Keychain information such as Safari passwords (unless you use an encrypted backup, then they will.)

For a full breakdown of what isn't actually included in the backup, check the Apple support document here.

Reactions: ericwn and deany

verithingeoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Sunshine Coast Queensland
That you can. There are certain things which aren't included in the backup (which you may already know) such as iTunes purchases, which you can add with the transfer purchases option in iTunes. iCloud photos, which will sync back with iCloud again once set up. Keychain information such as Safari passwords (unless you use an encrypted backup, then they will.)

For a full breakdown of what isn't actually included in the backup, check the Apple support document here.
Thanks for that, I'll be happy to proceed now

johnparks1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
Kingston, Canada
Got my new iPad and set it up, English, Canada, attached to iMac and picked the option to use the back-up from by 2011 iPad. I was up and running in 20 minutes only to discover that the old cover will not fix on the new iPad.

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
I did it just this way upgrading from my iPad3 and it worked. I only resetted the network settings and the known device in my wifi router. Beside the speed of the new device i really like the excellent battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.