All iPads New iPads this year

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nj-morris, Jan 15, 2015.

1. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Another 'what I want' thread.

I think that Apple should hold an event early this year (maybe February or March) instead of later on. What I want is 3 new iPads. Please note that these are only the improvements from the previous generations.

iPad Mini Blade:
    -5.4mm thin
    -0.5lb
    -iPhone 6 design
    -Ion-strengthened glass
    -A8 processor with increased power efficiency
    -Decreased battery size (that will make room for everything else) with retained battery life (10 hours)
    -2GB Memory
    -802.11a/b/g/n/ac
    -8 megapixel iSight camera with optical magnification so it doesn't stick out
    -3.1 megapixel FaceTime camera with 1080p video and Slo-Mo

iPad Air Deluxe:
    -A9 processor (Make the iPad Pro an A9X)
    -18 hour battery life
    -Improved iSight camera with True Tone flash
    -Same 3.1 megapixel FaceTime camera as Mini and Pro

iPad Pro:
    -See separate thread for details

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Might get "some" of your wishes but overall you will be dissapointed.:rolleyes:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think some of those wishlist items are a little unrealistic. Tbh, I'm not sure what apple can do with the iPad line at this stage. I've long since gotten tired of them making everything thinner and while I do expect newer models will be thinner, it won't be by much

4. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

and other thread that sould be closed look be for you post we got lots of treads about this kind of topic all ready mods close this one thanks

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think we really need to check our obssession with "thinness." It's nice, but thre's a practical usability limit to how thin these devices can be, and I think we're at the point where thinness on the iPad is just right. Anything else, and it will start to be a sacrifice in usability and durability.

We're already seeing the effects of being "too thin" on the iPhone side.

On your iPad mini "blade" I don't see any real improvement here, the specs are basically the same, just thinner. Why?

6. matraco macrumors regular

I can't imagine any new ipad being much thinner than the current air2.

Also, it is a bit odd to wish the mini and air to have lesser specs than the rumoured ipad pro.

7. harrypham macrumors member

iPad Air 2 is extremely easy to be bent. My younger sister's iPad Air 2 was bent after only 2 weeks of use. I returned it, and I am waiting to get a Macbook Air Retina for her instead.

Now, I have to treat my own iPad Air 2 softly because I do not want it bent. I also added Applecare Plus to it yesterday.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm not sure I agree with the "extremely" easy part. My iPad Air 2 has been all over the place with me and there have been no bends.

If anything, I suspect the next iteration of MacBook air will be thinner and thus just as easy to bend as current iPad models. Anyone who thinks even the current MacBooks can't bend are kidding themselves.

9. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

good grief... I don't see how one could bend the Air 2 during normal use...

Blade? Deluxe? Please no, the iPad naming scheme is already convoluted enough..

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There is no way Apple will release more iPad models in the spring. At best, it might release the iPad Pro in the spring, though I doubt it, because if they were, the Pro would have to be in production by now, so we'll be getting leaks of actual hardware.

So my bet is any new iPad models will be released in the fall. And the iPad Air and mini will still be Air and mini -- no need for new names. I also think calling a 12-inch iPad, if such a thing is released, the iPad Pro is a bad idea, because then it would suggest that the pre-existing iPads weren't for professional use. But all this time, Apple has been suggesting that the iPads can be used for creativity and productivity, with all their ad campaigns showing the iPads being put to varied use. Naming the bigger iPad "Pro" would undercut these ads.

11. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

iPad Plus?

12. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Que people mentioning the iPad 4. :eek:

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True, but that was so they could switch the iPad release to coincide with the Christmas shopping season. I doubt they'd want to switch it away from Christmas again, when they took the trouble to align it in the first place.

14. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Excellent point! That's a big sales time for them. Moving it to Feb/Mar would mean your holidays sales would be trying to drive 10 month old models against the latest from Samsung/LG/et. al. Won't happen.

15. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Apple would never add deluxe to any products name. Just no.

Wish list is also pretty...wishful.

I can't think of a whole lot apple can do with the iPad line at this point. Obviously the Mini needs a spec bump but other than that I don't see anything pressing. They need to start focusing on software and introduce some new, tablet oriented features such as multi window support for real multitasking and such. They have a lot of screen space they can make use of and right now apple isn't doing a whole lot to take advantage of it.

16. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Honestly, I could care less about how the mini looks. They can keep the same design, but PLEASE let it have the same specs as the current iPad Air model!

17. Billy95Tech Suspended

I have not bought the Ipad Air 2 yet the next time i can buy a new tablet is in May.

So i might as well wait for the Ipad Air 3 because it is only 5 months between May to October..

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

I just want an Air 3 with the iPhone 6 form factor and a higher DPI screen and or better screen tech, OLED or whatever. And the processor to drive it.

19. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

You're not going to go from 10 hours to 18 in one jump. Don't keep the A9X for just the Pro model.

My number 1 desire is enhanced build quality*
    My number 2 desire is an active digitizer.

*I purchased 2 iPad Air 2s. One had bookspine, the other had the screen distortion just by holding on the right side. The Apple Store employee was able to reproduce. Also, the excessive vibration through the screen were annoying. I really REALLY wanted the iPad Air 2, but so much build quality was lost just to make is slightly thinner and shave 0.04 pounds.

20. GoingDark macrumors 6502

None of the things on your wish list would make me even consider upgrading from an iPad Air 2 (or even an Air 1), which is what the next iPad needs to do if it wants to stem the bleeding in tablet sales.

People are hanging onto tablets for 3+ years now and these specs aren't going to convince anyone to ditch something they already have that adequately meets their needs.

21. nj-morris thread starter macrumors 68000

nj-morris

They wouldn't put it there for as a completely new version. They would just put it as a small upgrade, so they can put this where the Air 2 was, and leave the original Air where it was.

I have high hopes for the A9 though. I think this will be the one that catches up with a bunch of laptop processors. I don't really know about this stuff, so don't say that I'm wrong.

22. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

^^^^^^^ My iPad Air 2 already runs circles around some of my laptops, performance/responsiveness wise.