New iPads to have iPhone 4 styling?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just after your thoughts really.

Do you think future iPads will have the more modern iPhone 4 styling rather than the rounded silver style the current model has?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I hope not. I like brushed aluminum. It better wards away finger prints.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I'm hoping Apple goes retro with a really big click wheel ;)

5. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well the iPhone 4 looks nice but with it being glass on the front and back it just seems so fragile and heafty

If the iPad has the same design it would just make the iPad seem so fragile and more slippery since you hold the back which is glass.

I want them to remove the rounded back and make it flat and continue to make it lighter and lighter so it can be held with one hand without your arm getting tired.

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I can see the ipad of the future is going to be a very thin device that has a slight bend to it due to it being so thin, that way it does not break in half.

Because of it being so thin and bendable it would mean that holding it with one hand is not a problem anymore & and dropping the device won't damage it because of it being so light.

I can't wait till we get to this model but it's going to be awhile.

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes I did read that, and it's what make me wonder if they will bring the iPad, or possibly iPad's into line styling wise.

Personally I'd not be worried about a black back, but perhaps some non slip back would be better than glass.

On the other hand, smooth aluminium that's curved away thin at the edges could not be made any easier to slip out of your hands if they had sat down and designed the most lightly design to slip.

Just wondering what people would think.

Or, how would you like to see the look/design/style change?

Would you like it to stay exactly as is?

Or what change to the style would you like to see?

8. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I think apple is getting near entering a new type of material that they could use for their products.

liquid metal. For durability

So in this case we might find future products such as the iPad with this material in the 3rd generation or 4th.

What I really dislike is the borders on the iPad. I understand the reasoning for them but I never see myself laying my thumb on the borders when using the iPad anyways and it goes to the same with many people too who haven't notice

I really would like a redesign of the front of the iPad to make the screen look more seamless without borders.

When I look at the back of the iPad, the aluminum is seamless and of one color and really looks good

But when I look at the front of the iPad, I could see some improvements.

When it comes down to the iMacs and macbooks with the borders. I despise the look and really waiting for apple to get rid of them and have the screen to the edge.

same with the iPhone.

the borders are starting to look obsolete. It would be great if it's just all screen. It would make apple products look more elegant and modern

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I think it would look nice with a flatter back, if they can keep it thin enough to do so. A glass back would be terrible, I think. Sure, it would eliminate the 3g model's black stripe but just think of the fingerprints, smudges, even the scratches. The inevitable cracks. I hope they follow the iPhone in terms of reducing the curve in the back, but I'd hate to see a glass back.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if :apple: got in contact with Dupont and used Gorilla Glass it may be ok...

11. deus ex machina macrumors regular

12. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

liquidmetal would be awesome, it would also make it lighter. But I think you need a border to put you thumbs on but I do agree they could half it or something.

13. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yeah maybe half the size of the borders is what we might see.

It's just too thick. Our thumbs are not that big.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Speak for yourself. :D

15. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Ditto (and my hands aren't huge - I wear gloves in a mens size large).

16. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4 styling is perfect. Im sick to death of plastic mobile phones on the market with equivalent if not higher price tags than the iPhone 4. Clumsy people should only buy plastic phones, and if you own an iPhone 4 you should not drop it ever - prevention is better than cure. The iPad is not slippery and the iPhone 4 is not slippery either - maybe the lack of oil in people's skin. Glass is easier to grip than plastic, due to plastic's texture difference. The rounded back on the iPad was part of the design as its easier to grip with a large device due to your hands naturally following the curvy back - this is why most mobiles have curvy backs.

As for making everything lighter and lighter, no thank you. I want quality (metal / glass / aluminium) and dont want Apple to start following other manufacturers who start cost cutting so much the item is a ripoff - especially at AU$1,050 for the 64GB WiFi + 3G. Apple stand out from the crowd due to their superior quality products. If its too heavy for you, either use two arms are use it in a comfortable position. Why should the rest of use Apple product owners pay a premium for less quality due to a minority, of who the product doesn't seem to suit?

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That sounds pretty huge to me. :)

18. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Apple has freely advised the black bezel on the iPad was done deliberately so people had room to put their thumbs when using the device - this way you are not putting your thumb / fingers on the viewing area itself - its outside. The thickness of the bezel is used as everyones fingers are slightly different sizes around the world. A thinner bezel would either be due to making the screens smaller or making it larger. If you compare the bezel thickness of the iPad with say a macbook pro's bezel its almost the same size.

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Actually the iPhone 4 feels really good in your hand, the glass and metal feels way more solid than my 3GS did, and I may have just gotten lucky but I have dropped it on asphalt and a hardwood floor and it has no scratches or cracks.

I don't think the iPad should get the same thing though, the back gets fingerprints but with iPhone you can just swipe them off on your pants, the iPad would look really nasty on the back. Also the bigger pane of glass would be much easier to break because of the increased surface area + extra weight.

20. Bisz macrumors regular

Maybe it feels good in your hand, but it certanly doesn't feel good in my hand. I preferred my first generation iPhone to the 4. I couldn't get a case on my 4 soon enough, any case, didn't matter how small or thin or how little protection it actually offered so long as I wasn't holding a bare iP4.

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

22. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

Assuming a 7-inch 1024x768 screen using a similar design as the iPhone 4, it may look something like the one shown here.

Attached Files:

23. sineplex macrumors 6502

Coming out in white side by side with the white iPhone this November, sold! :eek:

24. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I just imagined what that'd look like, and I'd be in for a white iPhone 4 and regular iPad.