New iPhone 2017 rumor.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zackmd1, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Now this is what I am talking about!!!!!!!! I so hope this rumor is true... If this rumor is to be believed it further solidifies my decision to skip the iPhone 7 and instead get the SE.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/26/apple-iphone-amoled-wireless-charging/

"Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo at KGI Securities has today issued a new note in which he says that Apple will entirely revamp its iPhone lineup come 2017. According to Kuo, Apple in 2017 will release a new iPhone with glass casing and an AMOLED display.

More specifically, Kuo believes that Apple will decide between glass, plastic, and ceramic casing for its 2017 iPhone, but that the company will ultimately settle on glass, much like the iPhone 4, “as plastic doesn’t offer thin and light form factor designs, and it would be not easy to precisely control the tolerance of ceramic.”

Additionally, Kuo reports that Apple’s 2017 iPhone will adopt a curved display with curved glass body. Again building on the iPhone 4 design, the device will feature a glass front and back with metal sides. Kuo also says the phone will feature a “completely new form factor design” with more narrow bezels and a “more comfortably grip.”"

2. Andres Cantu, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think things will go something like this:

2016: iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
    2017: iPhone 7s, iPhone 7s Plus, and iPhone 7s Pro
    2018: iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Pro

Naming issues aside, the 7s Pro would essentially be an early iPhone 8.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

4. Zackmd1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

While true, most people that buy a new iPhone know there will be a new one next year..... I can see this being true because....

1. 2017 is the 10 year anniversary for the iPhone so it would make sense to have a big update instead of an s update.
    2. We have been hearing for awhile now that OLED will come as soon as 2017.
    3. We have also heard that Apple is experimenting with wireless charging.
    4. Current rumors of the iPhone 7 are pointing to a less then evolutionary update (more like an iPhone 6ss). This would make sense if Apple if focusing their efforts on a very large iPhone design revamp.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

An 6ss would be a welcome update. Apple knocked it out the park with the 6s.

6. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

As long as the iPhone 7 plus comes in 256gb, I will be getting two on day one. :)

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Lol, well that yet remains to be seen. Certainly can play storage lottery (wait: storage-gate :D) to see if that iphone version starts at 32 and ends at 256.

8. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Could care less if Apple offered the iPhone 7 starting with 16 gb or 32gb.

I always go for the largest variant. :)

9. kerrikins macrumors 65816

The thought of what Apple might do for the ten year anniversary has been on my mind, I have to admit, and it's making me think that getting the SE now is an even better idea rather than waiting for the 7.

Hard to believe that much time has gone by! I was working at AT&T (third party here in Canada) when the phone was announced and I remember our service levels plummeting for months afterwards, lol. A lot has changed in the smartphone industry in the last ten years :)

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Well, almost. Apple should have include IOS with the camera like the 6s+ for the 6s. Given it 1080p, and wireless charging. September, maybe, we will get these. Maybe even a smaller bezel and a f/1.7 lens. 2017, the better OLED screen and the 32 GB for starters, not 16.

11. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

Few things:

The use of the word "glass casing" is interesting here. I actually think it's quite possible that it's Liquid Metal because technically speaking Liquid Metal is a glass, not a metal.

Second, as I pointed out here, I have heard independently and Gruber seems to have heard as well that Apple is going to try and dump the physical Home button and embed everything including TouchID and cameras right into the screen. The report which says that it will have "more narrow bezels and a more comfortably grip” seems to support that. We'll see.

Third, I think a total revamp of the iPhone makes a lot of sense in 2017. Why? 10 years of iPhone would be the perfect time to say "this is the past, here is the future." On top of that, it would be introduced in Apple's beautiful new Campus 2 theater. In fact, I wonder if anything is done in Campus 2 before then. WWDC certainly won't be there.

Forth, we've been hearing reports for a few months now about AMOLED coming in 2017 along with true wireless charging. This, to me, all adds up to tell me that Apple is perhaps pulling out all the stops for 2017. This is also why I believe the iPhone 7 will look largely like the iPhone 6. They'll take some heat for having similar design this year, but people will go insane next year.

Finally, I believe these reports and "leaks" that the iPhone 7 is largely going to look like the iPhone 6s are true. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I deeply believe Apple to be behind these leaks to MacRumors, 9to5, and various other outlets. Why? Because they want to set expectations. The sooner they do that, the less crazy people will go. I also think this is exactly why the implemented the iPhone upgrade program last year. Again, this gives them time so that if a totally revamped iPhone comes out next year and you buy the iPhone 7 this year, you can easily trade up.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I think that's what's going to happen.

by abdowatch
    link: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/4c1yn0/kgi_apple_to_revamp_iphone_lineup_in_2017_w/d1ec5r7

12. I7guy macrumors G5

They kind of did what they did, and do what they do but I know what you say. We have no control other than to vote with our wallets. But still the 6s upgrade was a basic home run.

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I completely agree. History has shown that Apple takes around two years to react to the industry (such as with bigger screens). The 2017 iPhone will thus be a reaction to Samsung's recent designs.

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

15. I7guy macrumors G5

Do you think that Apple gets its requirements from Samsung?

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

There's no way to know for sure. But if they did, I sure wouldn't mind. Samsung's been very good on hardware lately.

17. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Yes it would.

18. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

Other way round.

You also have to take into account that 2015 has been a very bad year for Samsung semiconductor and Samsung admitted that 2016 is going to be even worse.
    Samsung's semiconductor business accounts for 25% of the company’s revenue and has acted as a cushion for falling smartphone sales.
    Samsung reported lower profits in 2015 due to a steep fall in dram chip prices. Perpetuated by a sharp decline in global sales of PCs and tablets, in which these chips are used, hit multiyear lows.

Samsung is also getting reamed in the nand flash sector as competition further intensifies due to the proliferation of 3D nand chips by Samsung's competitors; toshiba-sandisk, micron, and Intel.

I won't even bring up Samsung's foundry. Tsmc has the contract for the a10 after Samsung botched thier a9 soc.

One things for sure Samsung semiconductor is going to have a very harsh 2016.

19. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Not looking for a fight here, but what in your opinion made the 6s a home run? Same design, same screen resolution, same speakers, smaller battery, mp jump but same aperture and no low light improvement, 3D Touch that I have turned off, still no OIS.

I appreciate the 4K recording though I don't use it, the 2GB Ram though my 6 was plenty stable and fast, and the front facing 5mp camera through I don't FaceTime nor take selfies.

So while those are clearly just my takes on things and by no means a representation of popular view, I am curious what makes you feel the 6S, after a year plus for Apple to put their immense resources behind this phone, was a basic home run?

20. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Or you could just not worry about it and get a new phone every year..

21. I7guy macrumors G5

So other than a smashingly fast cpu(which has beaten the s7), updated front and back camera(so the aperture is the same), 3d touch, true tone front flash, water resistance, always on siri, faster lte, mimo wifi, series 7000 aluminum and a few others I'm probably leaving out there was enough of a change, IMO, to call it a home run. I like the design btw. This is an S model after all.

So this is my opinion on why it's a home run.

22. ARizz44, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

And that is all fair. I just was curious your thoughts behind it. One man's junk is another man's treasure. I suppose the fact that my 6 felt just as fast, my pictures look about the same, I find 3D touch useless, I don't drop my phone in water, I don't need siri always listening, my lte is the same, I don't use wifi, my 6 never bent, etc. is what lead to my subpar excitement. But, upgrading every year can also water down the effect.

Again, I wasn't looking to poke a sleeping bear. And I do love my 6S though often am intrigued by the 6S Plus. Just interesting how two views of the same features can be wildly different. And that is ok.

Edit: thinking more about this, I guess I loved my 6 so much that the 6S refining every thing is something I take for granted. I do love this little powerhouse :)

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am less consumed by the ten year anniversary and more consumed with the underwhelming leaks we have seen for the 7. Anything can change, but I see myself, for the first time ever, skipping an entire generation of iPhones.

If they make an even bigger screen in 2017, I pray to god something happens to bezels.

24. ET iPhone Home, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

[​IMG]
    This has been my favorite iPhone concept. Do you think this is the direction Apple will go by way of the iPhone 7S (in 2017), all based in the description in your post? However, it doesn't make sense that a redesign in 2017 will occur, when the iPhone 7 will get a redesign this year 2016. That's two redesigns in two consecutive years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. x34 macrumors 6502

no as it looks cheap like a samsung plastic bomber or some other ugly androider.